Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to figure out what do for an X-member for my ZF-1356-NP205. I came up with a combination C-channel/ Dual tube setup and started on it last night, but getting around the driveshaft yet keeping as much of the member from being above or below the frame rail is tough.

Lets see some pics!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow, my tranny is much lower.

my tranny mount bottom mounting surface is flush with bottome of frame.
Any issues with body clearance there?

(Is there any tech on p4x4 anymore except in the IH section?)

What I am currently looking at doing is similar to what you have, except using two tubes, one on each side of that plate, then bending them up at 45 degree angles until they meet some 3" C channel. Then the C channel goes to the frame and mounts with a similar "drop out" style mount.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Cause tranny crossmembers qualify as super hardcore tech. :shaking:
I measured, I thought, I designed, and if I had a plasma I would have cut them out, too. I ended up having the flat stock laser cut.

I have a friend with a bender and I thought I might have to do a \_/ shape in the middle of it. Turns out I didn't need to. The tube is even with the bottom of the frame.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Wow, my tranny is much lower.

my tranny mount bottom mounting surface is flush with bottome of frame.
Any issues with body clearance there?

(Is there any tech on p4x4 anymore except in the IH section?)

What I am currently looking at doing is similar to what you have, except using two tubes, one on each side of that plate, then bending them up at 45 degree angles until they meet some 3" C channel. Then the C channel goes to the frame and mounts with a similar "drop out" style mount.
This is a 80, not an SII. IIRC you are putting ford stuff in? Any pics with the trans in?

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I moved pics around in my photobucket, sorry for broken links.

Is that a 241/205? Been thinking about it myself. Are you going to go over the tcase? Maybe weld some tabs on the steel plate between the adapter plate?

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I moved pics around in my photobucket, sorry for broken links.

Is that a 241/205? Been thinking about it myself. Are you going to go over the tcase? Maybe weld some tabs on the steel plate between the adapter plate?
It's a 1356-205.

I'm going underneath and using a stock 4x4 ZF tranny mount. I am not planning on running a torque mount off the 205 since the 1356 never had one. Therefore I can't mount off that plate although it is very tempting. I still don't know about the torque mount.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's what I came up with, but I'm gonna redo it a bit.
I think the plan will be to redo the X-member by boxing in the bottom with .125" thick strap and then I think the ends will be changed so that they mount with a single horizontal bolt going through two 1/2" tabs and then a piece of pipe welded to the x-member.

Not sure how torsionally rigid U-channel is, even though it is pretty thick, so I don't think boxing it in will hurt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts