Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful weather here in the Deep South this weekend with temps in the 70's and plenty of sunshine I spent my weekend removing the hardtop from my FJ40 and looking for any excuse to drive her down the road. I pulled out a stuck J**p on Sunday and spent enough time behind the wheel to get a nice truckers tan (a.k.a. wind burn).

My optimistic outlook on the weather had me confident that spring temperatures were here to stay until I walked out of the house this morning to find the temp hovering around 31 degrees:D

determined to drive her come hell or high water I broke out the leather jacket and gloves and pressed on to work. With the morning sun on my back I arrived to work with cold ears and a smile on my face that surely made all the other morning commuters think I was fawking crazy:laughing:

so how was YOUR weekend???

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I ripped apart the split tcase i stole off ebay for $193 and surveyed it possible rebuild. Can't believe how clean it was inside, no wear on the idler at all, bearing races are in great shape.

Soaking the case now, and gonna finish scrubbing it up for the install behind Marlins #001 Toybox for the splt case. I'll post pics as I get to the assembly later this week when the Toybox arrives.

Also started a list of all the stuff I won't need anymore that has been cluttering my garage up. Spring cleaning and Cruiser cash, thats a concept!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I eliminated an additional 18" of wire from my TBI harness and cleaned up the install...tach hooked, idiot light hooked, new temp gauge installed. Took the truck down the drive and back yesterday, but with no top, no doors, no windshield, and no heat I opted not to take it for a long spin...considering wind chills were in the -20 range...

Even put some paint on the air cleaner....be afraid....lol

·
Registered
916 Posts
I spent almost all sunday pulling over a 70 foot oak tree:D

had to take it down putting on a mother inlaws suite on to my sisters house and the tree was in the way and the stump had to come out figured why rent a track loader for two trees just pull it over with the cruiser
had fun no digi cam though will try to get the 35mm developed on disc for pics

·
Registered
529 Posts
I took my 4 year old to Monster Jam.
He had a blast. He loved the Spiderman monster truck.
It was -22F (-30C) so I just tried to keep warm.

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
I started Saturday with 4 standard front FJ45 fenders and a plasma torch. Had to quit on Sunday evening with two truggy "fenderetts" (4 inches narrower than stock) almost finished and two "Big Berthas" (3.5" wider than stock for the other truck) ready to be welded together. Much of the time was spent pounding out dents and straightening the old fender parts before welding them together. These are going to look pretty cool, but I still H8bodywork:mad:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Drove the cruiser from the bay Area up to Tahoe. Skied KT-22, Oly ridge and Headwall at Squaw Valley on Sat and Sun. :D
Got flagged down by a highway patrolman in Tahoe City who just wanted to say "Nice cruiser".
At 190,000 miles the 2F is running better than it ever has. (knock on wood) On the way home we cruised down hwy80 and I-5 at 77mph listening to the hum of the swampers and the squeek of the passenger door latch. Great weekend.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Saturday was beautiful, but since the truck is not mobile (clutch ist kaput), I took the interior panels off all four doors + tailgate + liftgate and cleaned the window/lock mechanisms and regreased them with grpahite-based grease. I also used spray silicone on all the window channels, cleaned and coated all of the truck's outside rubber, cleaned the windows, lubed all the door hinges and locking mechanisms. I also installed a couple of interior lights I've had for a while, did some work on the roofrack, and did some work on the trailer's new wire harness.

All in all a fairly productive Cruiser weekend, not bad considering the truck stayed in place.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I got to the scene of the stuck J**p a game warden was already there and asked if my truck was for sale;) he said he was a FJ owner (fj40) and lived one county over from me.

I also took the time to explain to the group standing there why we don't use a ball hitch as a recovery point (they wanted me to use it and I refused).

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
60seriesguy said:
Saturday was beautiful, but since the truck is not mobile (clutch ist kaput),
Henry... you're welcome to "the slab" if you need a place to work on the cruiser. Hey, at least it beats working in the dirt or at an apt complex!!! If is starts to rain, I have a tarp!

Let me know if you need a "tow" as I have the truck and tow dolly if you need a lift.

As for me... fun weekend with the kiddo's. Made the mistake of heading over the the Animal Shelter on saturday. Usually we help out by walking & brushing some of the dogs... cheap fun on a sunny day, and also gets those guys a better chance of finding a new home. (the dogs, not the kids!)

Well, after Skate (avatar) I keep saying "no more long hair black doggies!" Guess what... meet a very sweet gentle dog who is way too cool... Kate keeps asking for a dog (yes, I know who will be taking care of it), but really want her to adopt someone needing a home. Uh oh... so all the kids & Pam have been asking "when do we get the new dog?".

Gilmer -- March 29th... you are going aren't you? (come hell or high water, I need to wheel. Emerson's bday that weekend, so been working on him to go. Only problem with a family of six & four seats... not enough room for everyone! Dang!)

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Well I went wheeling Thursday after it had snowed in the Utah mountains and managed to slide down a hill and while trying to back out I blew up a birfield w/o a spare and in a position were changing it was impossible, I winched it to the top of the mountain and am all set to go up there and rip out the birf and limp it home. I just need my DAMN 54 mm hub socket.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Met a with a couple friends for a local backcountry run. About 120 miles roundtrip mostly dirt roads. A couple of moderate trails thrown in for some excitement.

The bad news was the forest service bull dozer graded my favorite local trail. I don't mind a little maintenance or a few water bars, but they tore out the big rocks and filled the holes! :mad:

Just a week ago I was there and pleased it was getting harder every year. It was getting to the point lockers were requried for even the easiest lines. Now, those places are just steep dirt roads.:mad:

At least we found one place that's still so extrreme it's too intimidating for me to attempt. It's called the Stairsteps and we watched a dozen dirt bikers drag their bikes down through the rocks. None of them even attempted to ride the section. But I did notice a Goodyear tread mark mid way through, presumably coming down, but I'd love to see it. The kicker is the penalty for error, it's steep and on a ridge line with 1000 foot drops to either side. No bypass and at least a 15 mile loop to get to the other side.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Deep South Cruisers said:

so how was YOUR weekend???
Pretty good. Skied this weeked with Andre - dieselcruiserhead, saw lots of 40s in/around the Salt Lake City area, met Kurt, cruiseroutfitter, and checked out his sweet FJ-40, and met Matt, Fixxxah, welder extraordinaire!!:smokin:

Only bad part of the weekend was the starter solenoid going bad in my 92 Trooper. Just dropped her off at the at a local, SLC, Isuzu dealership. Decided to get the 150,000 servicing done as well. I won't get out for less than $1500!!! :mad:

Next weekend could be much worse - I'm in Kuwait City the 16th - 18th. I'll have my video camera ready in case Saddam decides to lob some Scuds after the 3/17 "deadline".:usa: I think I'm gonna have a hard time finding any green beer in Kuwait on the 17th, too. :(

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Re: Re: What did you do this weekend?

MD11Fr8Dog said:
Next weekend could be much worse - I'm in Kuwait City the 16th - 18th. I'll have my video camera ready in case Saddam decides to lob some Scuds after the 3/17 "deadline".:usa: I think I'm gonna have a hard time finding any green beer in Kuwait on the 17th, too. :(
Sean,
After you drop off your load in Kuwait, I think it is your duty to liberate a few of the Kuwait/Iraq cruisers. Fill the MD11 with a few 70 series pickups and 105 series wagons, and bring em to the Land of the Free!:D :flipoff2:

:usa: :usa:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

MD11Fr8Dog said:

Next weekend could be much worse - I'm in Kuwait City the 16th - 18th.
need a tail gunner???? :D

I went to Cal Rocs on Sat with a bunch of people from www.wheelingarizona.com and even met up with BMAN there. Sun, studied and help a very pretty lady and good friend pack up to leave for Vegas.:(

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Re: Re: Re: What did you do this weekend?

rustycruiser said:

Sean,
After you drop off your load in Kuwait, I think it is your duty to liberate a few of the Kuwait/Iraq cruisers. Fill the MD11 with a few 70 series pickups and 105 series wagons, and bring em to the Land of the Free!:D :flipoff2:

:usa: :usa:

Man, I'd love to! I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for LCs, always having my camera ready! FedEx has advised us to not look/act American. I think I'll wear my I
T-shirt!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts

MD11Fr8Dog said:

Only bad part of the weekend was the starter solenoid going bad in my 92 Trooper. Just dropped her off at the at a local, SLC, Isuzu dealership. Decided to get the 150,000 servicing done as well. I won't get out for less than $1500!!! :mad:

call Andre :flipoff2:

bennett

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Re: Re: Re: What did you do this weekend?

bennett said:
MD11Fr8Dog said:

Shawn... curious to know if they reamed you a new one at the Isuzu Dealer? My son has a 92 Trooper and I know that thing inside and out.. if you ever need some help on troopuz...

call Andre :flipoff2:

bennett
To be honest, its not uch more than I expected!! The 150K servicing is a huge one, including timing belt/chain, and a bucnh of other stuff! I haven't had it serviced since about 75K - just fluids!!:( I bet those new plugs, a flushed coolant system, flushed tranny, etc are gonna bring that V6 back to life!! ;) I just hope they have a rebuilt starter - that is where I expect to get reamed! Fortunately, with the trip to the MidEast coming up, I can afford the time to leave it here until I get back. I probably would have done the starter myself in Steamboat, but there is a certain value to convenience!!

Talked to Andre just 30mins ago, he said when I get back to pick up the Trooper, he and I will try to hook up with you before my drive back to the 'Boat!

oh, and BTW, its

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
i raided more parts off two fairly well parted cruisers...still got enough to load my 60 up though...anybody need parts:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts