Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
that are small enough to fit in a pickup/jeep, reliable, and make decent power??? How popular is cummins worldwide?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
4bt , theres another one I cant think of, I wanna say a turbo isuzu

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I think the Chevy/GM Duramax may be quite global, it was designed by Isuzu.

I saw a isuzu commercial where they advertised there "D MAX" in their pickups..

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
They keep saying that the 4.5L Duramax is coming out. Would be smaller than the 6.6L and fit a lot more places.

However, I figure that you're looking at three to five years (after they are out) before you can start finding them for a price you'd be willing to pay - unless you have deep pockets for a crate engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just finished putting a 4bt in my k10 shortbox. Really an easy fit. Still working on tuning and odds and ends, but it really impresses me so far. Awesome power, and mileage on very first trip was 27.5 going 65 mph one way and 75 mph the other. They are definately used worldwide as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes. I sold my extra 4bt to a friend that did just that. Just need the flywheel housing for 4bt to NP435 and then a bellhousing from, I think, a NP435 that has a six cyl.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
In terms of reliability and simplicity, you can't beat a b series cummins. Not to mention they're used in every application imaginable around the world. Though...why is "worldwide" a criteria? Planning on shipping this vehicle around the world? If just in north america, most any common diesel should be able to find parts.

·
Registered
883 Posts
if its going in a fullsize You could look at a inline six toyota diesel. you can't get much more worldwide than a toyota motor.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I just finished putting a 4bt in my k10 shortbox. Really an easy fit. Still working on tuning and odds and ends, but it really impresses me so far. Awesome power, and mileage on very first trip was 27.5 going 65 mph one way and 75 mph the other. They are definately used worldwide as well.
God I wanna do that. What gears, tires, trans are you running? All the diesel guys told me the sm465 would be a bad idea to run with a 4bt.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
In terms of reliability and simplicity, you can't beat a b series cummins. Not to mention they're used in every application imaginable around the world. Though...why is "worldwide" a criteria? Planning on shipping this vehicle around the world? If just in north america, most any common diesel should be able to find parts.
Ummm cause thats the point of an expedition rig. To traverse the great outdoors of multiple countrys on a very very long trip. A 2 week road trip to some wheel spots is not what alot of serious guys have in mine when yuo say expedition.

Theyre thinking ok we'll start in texas and drive south til we see penguins.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Ummm cause thats the point of an expedition rig. To traverse the great outdoors of multiple countrys on a very very long trip. A 2 week road trip to some wheel spots is not what alot of serious guys have in mine when yuo say expedition.

Theyre thinking ok we'll start in texas and drive south til we see penguins.
I wasn't aware there was a road to antarctica. I also wasn't aware that you couldn't have an "expedition" involving only central and north america. Point being, unless you seriously think you're going to pack up your rig and ship it overseas..."worldwide" parts availability isn't as much of a concern as say reliabilty, mileage, ability to easily fix it with typical hand tools, ability to get parts at napa or the local hd truck shop that every city from chile to alaska has...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'm not really looking to ship world wide, but a possible South american excursion could be in my future... I would really like to use a Cummins 4BT but was unsure about their use globally.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mongoose,

The 4BT is used in boats, generator set-ups, tractors, pumps, etc. all over the globe. Plus it is a very simple design that is very easy to work on and a I would thing that anything problematic could be brougth at as a spare, however I cant think of anything. With a manual transmission, you could push start the rig and run it with just about any problem I can think of.

r0nin89
It really does run good. I am truly amazed. I did put a lot of thought into set-up though. A 465 would be useless on the road. Thats what was in mine to start with. You really need an overdrive with these. I am running 3.73s, 33" tires, and a dodge version NV4500. It is about the perfict gearing. I had alway planned on running 255/85-16s which are a smidge taller and much narrower than 33x12.50s but got a good deal on these. I might try a set of 35s from my buddies pickup just to see how the gearing works out, but it really drives good right now.

I am running a 241 t case and in low range in first gear, it would NOT climb my test hill. Geared to low and spins at idle to easy with no momentum. put it in low 2nd gear or low 3rd and it idles up with no throttle input. But out on the highway I can still run up and down every hill in 5th gear with out shifting or loosing speed and get 27 mpgs at 75 mph. With a little more tuning I bet I can get 30 mpg.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I wasn't aware there was a road to antarctica. I also wasn't aware that you couldn't have an "expedition" involving only central and north america. Point being, unless you seriously think you're going to pack up your rig and ship it overseas..."worldwide" parts availability isn't as much of a concern as say reliabilty, mileage, ability to easily fix it with typical hand tools, ability to get parts at napa or the local hd truck shop that every city from chile to alaska has...

Mmm wow ok. First of all check back when you graduate 6th grade biology :flipoff2: theres penguins at the very southern tip of south america. Ever heard of those very famous islands called the Gallapagos (sp) ? Thats what I was talking about.

Secondly you couldnt be more wrong. An expedition rig is a vehicle that is as capable offroad as it is onroad and is self-maintainable and serviceable around the globe. The majority of people that are serious about an expedition wouldnt even consider thinking your on a so called expedition if theres a napa or "local hd truck shop" what ever the fuck that is, within driving distance.

Your talking about middle of fucking nowhere third world countries. And yeah there are plenty of people who trek through south america, and theres plenty of people who go to, middle of nowhere asia and africa... for fucks sake theres a huge group of people who take a wheeling trip across Antarctica every year.

So your little "expeditions" 300 miles away from your local mudhole, yeah thats not an expedition. Websters points to the synonym excursion when talking about expedition, the definition of excursion is deviation from a direct, definite, or proper course. Tell me how many Napas you find in Uegala Africa.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Mongoose,

r0nin89
It really does run good. I am truly amazed. I did put a lot of thought into set-up though. A 465 would be useless on the road. Thats what was in mine to start with. You really need an overdrive with these. I am running 3.73s, 33" tires, and a dodge version NV4500. It is about the perfict gearing. I had alway planned on running 255/85-16s which are a smidge taller and much narrower than 33x12.50s but got a good deal on these. I might try a set of 35s from my buddies pickup just to see how the gearing works out, but it really drives good right now.

I am running a 241 t case and in low range in first gear, it would NOT climb my test hill. Geared to low and spins at idle to easy with no momentum. put it in low 2nd gear or low 3rd and it idles up with no throttle input. But out on the highway I can still run up and down every hill in 5th gear with out shifting or loosing speed and get 27 mpgs at 75 mph. With a little more tuning I bet I can get 30 mpg.
Yeah I'm running 350/sm465/3.73's/36's right now.

If I went to a 4bt I'd imagine I'd need nv4500/4.10's to run at a good speed. As of right now I run high rpms at 70... like 3000.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Mmm wow ok. First of all check back when you graduate 6th grade biology :flipoff2: theres penguins at the very southern tip of south america. Ever heard of those very famous islands called the Gallapagos (sp) ? Thats what I was talking about.

Secondly you couldnt be more wrong. An expedition rig is a vehicle that is as capable offroad as it is onroad and is self-maintainable and serviceable around the globe. The majority of people that are serious about an expedition wouldnt even consider thinking your on a so called expedition if theres a napa or "local hd truck shop" what ever the fuck that is, within driving distance.

Your talking about middle of fucking nowhere third world countries. And yeah there are plenty of people who trek through south america, and theres plenty of people who go to, middle of nowhere asia and africa... for fucks sake theres a huge group of people who take a wheeling trip across Antarctica every year.

So your little "expeditions" 300 miles away from your local mudhole, yeah thats not an expedition. Websters points to the synonym excursion when talking about expedition, the definition of excursion is deviation from a direct, definite, or proper course. Tell me how many Napas you find in Uegala Africa.
First, the fucking galapagos penguin and islands are on the equator, and hundreds of miles off the coast of south america. You're still a dipshit.
And second, I don't give a shit where you are. There will always be a trucking industry, and there will always be a shop and parts store to service them. No shit, you might not be anywhere near one when a problem arises...but if that's the case, how does that even apply to the point of this thread. If you can't get parts, then you cant get parts. For anything.

How many times have you shipped your 87 chevy on fawking tsl radials to africa? About as many times as the OP plans to.

The only point I was trying to make before you went off on your dumbass rant was that "worldwide" and "north and south america" makes a difference. A cummins b series engine is used in not only generators, boats, ag equipment, and pumps around the world, but is also a staple of the light and heavy truck market. It doesn't matter where the fuck you are, small town wisconsin or panama...there is someone that sells parts for a cummins diesel. Try going to your local north american parts house and getting a part for a toyota diesel. Or a mercedes for that matter. No doubt they're a dime a dozen in europe, but so is a vauxhall...try finding parts for one in a 500 mile radius.
The meaning of worldwide does make a difference. And just because to you and your magazine reading mind, the only thing that constitutes an "expedition" is driving from here to siberia does not make it true. What exactly makes a trip across antarctica more of an expedition than one from washington to the yukon? Nothing. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts