Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To this day, my dad grinds up front shoulders, throws away necks and hearts, and grinds probably 70% of the other meat into burger.

Since getting back into hunting I've really come to enjoy Steve Rinella's Meat Eater show. This past season I cut every salvagable piece of meat into a meal, and have found there are A LOT of amazing cuts on a whitetail. This coming season I want to try heart and osso buco. However, I don't know if I can bring myself to eat tongue or testicles. Anyone here eat those parts? How are they? I watch Steve eat some interesting things.

It's July and only a few more months before small game picks back up in PA. Getting excited for this coming season!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tongue is great..slow simmer in salt water..after its cooked peel the exo off, slice thin on bread with mayo and onions..

nuts, never have..

liver, heart..yum

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I eat calf nuts all the time doubt deer nuts taste much different. Only problem is 2 nuts is just enough to piss a hungry man off.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've tried cooking the ribs once. Wasn't really worth the effort, and the way I cooked them left a weird greasy flavor. In retrospect I should have trimmed more fat off, then probably boiled and grilled them.

I normally cut the neck meat to grind for hamburger meat, or sausage. I will cut some of the front shoulders for stew meat, or for grinding. The rear quarters are cut for steaks, roast of grinding also. I keep the back straps and tenderloins the way they are.

The heart is good to eat, but I've never messed with the liver or any other part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Since I've started cooking whole roasts, I get a ton more meat off each deer. The membranes, sinew, tendons, etc, that get trimmed off when your curbing the meat or prepping it to grind are all edible when braised for 4 hours. I got 5 neck roast off the last buck I shot.

This guy's recipes are the bomb, and he has a lot for organ meats as well.

Venison Recipes - Recipes for Venison

I've eaten heart and liver, and I've eaten cow tongue and tripe, but not off a deer. I haven't tried sweetbreads, balls, or kidneys, I like eating different stuff but not necessarily stuff that I'd consider gross like brains.

A lot of the time I forget to save the organs while gutting, or remove the tongue before they've gone lockjawed, just haven't gotten in the habit yet.

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Yearling liver is much better, and far less strong, than a liver from a several year old deer. Tongue isn't bad. Hearts, sliced, and fried with onions are good too.

I cut almost every scrap of meat off of a deer and use it. Stew meat, sausage, etc. Front shoulders are DELICIOUS braised in a cast iron pan with carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, and thyme. You can add beef broth or red wine if you want something different. Oh yeah, lots of garlic on top too.

For cuts of meat, back straps, loins, roasts, shoulders. Aything and everything else gets ground up. Once we have enough roasts I'll grind them too. We tend to can a bunch of the stew meat too. Put the meat in the jar, tsp of salt, can @ 10 psi 70 minutes for pints, 90 for quarts. Makes it easy for a delicious venison, rice, and beans dinner when you're on a time crunch.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I'm no chef, so I do burger with 75% of a deer. A few.steaks and a roast or two. I'M not a fan of heart and liver, but I pack it out because I usually give it away. Last year's heart and liver are still in my freezer, so if anyone in Boise is interested it's all yours.

·
Banned
7,229 Posts
All actual meat... shoulders, hams, neck, ribs, etc get ground into sausage. Back strap is made into jerky.

Fuck the rest of it. I have plenty of deer to shoot and it's not worth it.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
All actual meat... shoulders, hams, neck, ribs, etc get ground into sausage. Back strap is made into jerky.

Turning an entire deer into sausage and jerky is a waste IMO. Learn to cook it properly and you'll see what you've been missing.

I've eaten at really good steakhouses, seafood restaurants in the keys and all along the gulf coast, most of the better places in New Orleans, and this recipe is one of the best 3 meals I've ever had.

http://honest-food.net/venison-recipe-caramelized-onions-mushrooms/

I turned an entire doe into jerky once, it fit in a few gallon ziplock bags. Since breaking them down into roasts and cooking those instead, I get probably 50 dinners for me and my wife out of each deer.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
every scrap of meat I can get off it,heart is d elicious over the fire with salt, never tried the balls or tongue, but beef tongue is delicious.

·
Banned
7,229 Posts
Turning an entire deer into sausage and jerky is a waste IMO. Learn to cook it properly and you'll see what you've been missing.

I've eaten at really good steakhouses, seafood restaurants in the keys and all along the gulf coast, most of the better places in New Orleans, and this recipe is one of the best 3 meals I've ever eaten.

Venison Recipe with Onions and Mushrooms

I turned an entire doe into jerky once, it fit in a few gallon ziplock bags. Since breaking them down into roasts and cooking those instead, I get probably 50 dinners for me and my wife out of each deer.
I've cooked it different ways. Not worth it.

That's the way my family has been doing it for over 150 years. I'm not missing anything.

I'm talking whitetail. The bandsaw comes out and axis it cut to steaks. Fallow is meh and get ground with the whitetail.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad I asked!

Going to give these recipes a try. Back in the day my mom used to can a lot of deer meat, and that was always a treat. However, moving forward 15 years, I've come to love a nice rare, medium-rare venison steak. The inner tenderloins and back straps cooked to like 130-135 IT are delicious. We butcher our own deer, so I'm very cautious with how the meat is aged and handled.

This past season I shot a yearling doe (she looked bigger from the stand!), and while I was disappointed with the size, it produced some of the most tender meat I've ever eaten. The inner tenderloins were better than any piece of prime cut beef I've had. We can only legally harvest two doe a year, so I cherish every cut.

The difference I saw this year was that I ended up with stacks of dinners, while my dad ended up with maybe 5 bologna rolls, and a $100 bill. Sure, bologna is good, but I hunt deer for cheap, tasty cuts.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts

So do you never buy steaks, roasts, etc? You live off of jerky and sausage?

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
i make sausage.. I keep a handful of the backstraps but generally just grind the rest of the meat..My dog eats a lot of venison too

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
I eat as much as I can (sans bloodshot stuff). I tend to not eat any exotic meat (heart, nuts, eyeballs, whatever)... Im just not that hungry haha

·
Registered
'73 Scout
10,458 Posts
Steaks, roasts, liver, rest made into burger and sausage.

Cant beat venison saurbraten roasts, venison sausage in spaghetti or venison burger in chili.

Antlers get used either as buttons or for the pups, skin gets tanned. Some of us are buckskinners and frequent rendezvous where the stuff goes on the trading blanket during round robins.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Steaks, roasts, tenderloins stay complete, trim gets turned into ground, I keep heart and liver if they're complete.
Making nothing but sausage and jerky is a waste of good meat, do that with a nasty ass cow, not a deer!

Or maybe whitetail is gross. I don't know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts