Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
I de-bone the hind quarters while it's hanging, those usually get ground up. Pull the inner and outer loins, those usually get cut up into medalions. Front shoulders if they're not shot up get ground up. Neck gets roasted, I also save heart liver and kidneys for my father in law, makes an incredibly tasty Haggis with them.

I cut off the front shoulders, backstraps, loins, and rear quarters. The wife will cut the roasts into steaks or jerky. Grind all the little stuff into burger with some pork fat. Varies year to year depending on what we have left from the previous year.

Since I can do 2-4 a year, along with my dad doing 2-4 deer and an elk we are always eating deer or elk. We will pull any leftover roasts out of the freezer in the fall to make jerkey, along with more freezer room for that fall.

I'm not a fan of eating organs. Coyotes, birds, and bugs gotta eat too.

I use all the meat and the heart. Not a fan of liver :barf:. Depending on the age, at least the backstrap goes into steak, if it's young then the rear quarters go into steaks. The rest burger and sausage. I trim everything off the bone we can. Shanks always go to sausage and I mix them around with softer cuts so it's not all shank sausage. Two deer a year usually is enough for us, I prefer them about 1.5 years old. Old bucks are nice to look at but make poor table fare except sausage. Same goes for elk, especially in the rut.

... Old bucks are nice to look at but make poor table fare except sausage. Same goes for elk, especially in the rut.
Yep...1st and last old buck I had was a muley my dad got. King of the woods with an assymetrical 6x8 rack. No head, legs, skin and dressed it weighed in at over 400# on the processor scale which is big for a CO muley. Only critter I've ever eaten that would leave a rancid tasting fat scum on the roof of your mouth.

We did find out that iffen one made sauerbraten that the fat flavor went away. Mom had an issue with aroma while it was "curing" so instead of 4-5 days it was shoretened to 2... :D

Yep...1st and last old buck I had was a muley my dad got. King of the woods with an assymetrical 6x8 rack. No head, legs, skin and dressed it weighed in at over 400# on the processor scale which is big for a CO muley. Only critter I've ever eaten that would leave a rancid tasting fat scum on the roof of your mouth.

We did find out that iffen one made sauerbraten that the fat flavor went away. Mom had an issue with aroma while it was "curing" so instead of 4-5 days it was shoretened to 2... :D
Are you the same "400 lb deer" from the discussion awhile ago? :flipoff2:

Heaviest buck ever killed

Are you the same "400 lb deer" from the discussion awhile ago? :flipoff2:

Heaviest buck ever killed
Not the same story...mine goes back to around 1964-1965 and was a Muley not a whitetail.

Back then hunting was more food oriented and much less trophy so while the story is unique and possibly newsworthy for some it was just a real big hunk of meat for a family of 7...

My dad, and uncle from TX and one of my bros were on the trek past Brainerd Lake at Bald Knob on the Peak to Peak Highway long before Bald Knob became a part of CU campus.

Sadly I didnt snag the critters rack when my dad passed.

Best eating deer I ever shot was also the biggest and most mature one I've shot. And I've never had ungulate fat that didn't leave that nasty scum on the roof of your mouth, I always was told that's why you trim ALL the fat off.

Blacktail bucks...

Back straps, tender lions, rear quarters, shoulders, neck, heart.

No Fat!

Never over cooked!

I always age at least 10 days before butchering.

Archery Season opens in the morning! 100+degree temps and full moon!

I like to cook the tongue (a real pain in the ads as you have to boil it, scrape off the taste buds and boil it again) and heart and pickle them, then pretty much everything from the ribs back gets turned into steaks and forward turns into burger

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Blacktail bucks...

Back straps, tender lions, rear quarters, shoulders, neck, heart.

No Fat!

Never over cooked!

I always age at least 10 days before butchering.

Archery Season opens in the morning! 100+degree temps and full moon!
And?

BTW, I gave up on poison oak and heat. Yolla Bolla bound again this year.

Last year I got my first buck. I made mystery steaks and roasts out of pretty much everything except the ribs, which were given to the chickens. The tenderloin and backstrap were cut to single meal length. I ended up with just one package of stew meat. I've had heart and liver before but didn't care for it and didn't bother to pack it out.

The backstrap for dinner last night was grubbin. My son said he wasn't hungry and passed :homer:

And?

BTW, I gave up on poison oak and heat. Yolla Bolla bound again this year.

Last year I got my first buck. I made mystery steaks and roasts out of pretty much everything except the ribs, which were given to the chickens. The tenderloin and backstrap were cut to single meal length. I ended up with just one package of stew meat. I've had heart and liver before but didn't care for it and didn't bother to pack it out.

The backstrap for dinner last night was grubbin. My son said he wasn't hungry and passed :homer:
No buck this weekend for me... saw a doe with an ear tag and neck collar tho.

I gave up on the bollys years ago... too many people even during archery and horse guys going in a week before the season really f'd the hunting. Will be back up b zone way for m11 hunt in November. My ol lady got drawn.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.