Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
29" wheels are not cool, some gary fishers are nice but if you are gonna spend a grand there is better options, look into jamis bikes, yeah they are right aboutthe cyclo cross bike as long as your not planning on doing any real hardcore downhilling, it will give you the traction of a mt.bike with the pedaling efficiency of a road bike. if you are mainly commuting on the bike stay away from a full suspension unless it has a rear lock out shock, which may be hard to find on a bike for 1000$

·
Registered
361 Posts
I ride a Nirve DSX-1, it's a full suspension mtn bike, for daily riding around town I have street tires on dirt wheels, and my knobbys for trail riding, :grinpimp:

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
76IHscoutII said:
I ride a blinged out 97 Bontrager Steel hardtail. I've ridden others, but always end up on my Bonty.

Get a good steel hardtail:smokin:
I had a 1997 Bontrager (picked it up from Keith) Superlight that I rode for years. Sold it and have regretted it ever since:(
Looking for a XXL superlight if anyone hears of one for sale.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i just got on a Giant Reign2 FS, its a sweet upgrade from the GT avalanche. plus i got it on a steal of a deal and love it.
i rode in CA a lot when i lived out there. people say that there is sicky Mt biking here in the south, but im not too impressed :(

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Bikes:
1) 1970's Ross setup as a fixed gear (commuter)
2) Surly Karate Monkey 29'er, singlespeed. Fun fun bike. Tires, 29 X 2.3, huge
3) Cannondale 1FG. Racing single speed
4) Cannondale F700 single speed. Beater/loaner bike
5) Specialized Stumpjumper. XT/XTR go fast bike
6) Cannondale R5000, new road racing bike
7) Novara Strada. Ultegra comfy road bike

My girl friend has 3 bikes as well. Last I counted she was behind in the contest. I commute through downtown to work, Civil Engineer as well. I like heading out to the bike trail after work or up to the hills. Try to go to Bend, OR every year, been to Sedona and Moab as well. Getting way tired of Auburn and the like. Too many "Fred's" out there. Hit me up if you need any work done (pro mechanic).

Hey Brandon where do you work? I graduate in May and maybe looking for a job.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I ride an '04 GF HKEK, with just a 32 tooth sprocket in the front (9 speed). Aside from chain spitting issues (my fault, I know) I love it. Not suuuuperlight, but getting better,and I'm not crazy on downhills. Mostly crosscountry /fireroad stuff. Am getting a Trek liquid in a month or two tho-other end of the spectrum for sure!:D

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
4x4mike said:
Bikes:
1) 1970's Ross setup as a fixed gear (commuter)
2) Surly Karate Monkey 29'er, singlespeed. Fun fun bike. Tires, 29 X 2.3, huge
3) Cannondale 1FG. Racing single speed
4) Cannondale F700 single speed. Beater/loaner bike
5) Specialized Stumpjumper. XT/XTR go fast bike
6) Cannondale R5000, new road racing bike
7) Novara Strada. Ultegra comfy road bike

My girl friend has 3 bikes as well. Last I counted she was behind in the contest. I commute through downtown to work, Civil Engineer as well. I like heading out to the bike trail after work or up to the hills. Try to go to Bend, OR every year, been to Sedona and Moab as well. Getting way tired of Auburn and the like. Too many "Fred's" out there. Hit me up if you need any work done (pro mechanic).

Hey Brandon where do you work? I graduate in May and maybe looking for a job.

I work for caltrans, the state is always hiring and don't listen to what they say, it isn't that bad ;)

Got your FE? If you don't get it asap. Good thing about the state is the many options - bridge structures, water resources, roadway design, geotech, etc etc

Good experience, no stress, good benefits, so so pay.

BUT you have the free time to "freelance" which I am starting now.. (anyone need any engineering done for their new house/addition? ;) )

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I live in east sac and ride to the EPA building (job 1). I have been a student assistant with the State Water Board. I tested, ranked 2 and plan to work there after school. I also wrench on bikes locally and am still a student. Took the EIT last Saturday, we'll see in 14 weeks. Maybe once I'm on, start working 4 10's we could hook up and ride. My new 29'er is a blast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in moab and ride a 05 kona coiler. My ride is 7 miles to work but I get side tracked on the way home and go up to the slickrock trail , steel bender or porcipine rim sometimes.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Made a few changes since this picture was taken. Now has Pink CK Headset, Went to some CK Hubs sold them now have XT hubs, put on raceface Atlas crank, also running Avid Juicy 7s, XT front derailleur, XTR rear now and a different saddle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2004 Cannondale F800
2001 Mongoose NX7.3
1990 Cannondale Black Lightning
1998 Bianchi Alloro

I've been doing mostly road riding for the past 2 years, mostly around where I live. I try to do as many tours as possible, 5 Boro Tour and several in Central Jersey. In high school I did tons of mountian biking with my 1994 Cannondale Super-V 1000. I bought the frame when it was about 6 months old and built the bike from scratch. For 4 years I rode the piss out of it and the only trouble I had was the HeadShok not working for about 3 months, but it fixed itself. I like alot of fast single track riding and there's a decent amount of that in Jersey.

--Matt

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i ride my kona stinky everywhere. i look at it this way: youre commute might be more of a workout but it just means you will be in that much better shape.

something like a hardtail would be great for a commute because you can hit up fun stuff on the way like stairs and drops, makes the commute that much more fun. rigids are no fun like that but you can ride faster...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Andy351 said:
i ride my kona stinky everywhere. i look at it this way: youre commute might be more of a workout but it just means you will be in that much better shape.

something like a hardtail would be great for a commute because you can hit up fun stuff on the way like stairs and drops, makes the commute that much more fun. rigids are no fun like that but you can ride faster...

I have a single speed hardrock and a stinky dee-lux. The 40 lb stinky gives me one hell of a workout riding around town but there are too many fun drops and stair sets around not to ride it. I usually ride schultz pass for mtn biking and around NAU campus and downtown when I want my urban fix.

·
Registered
72 Posts
mine is a trek 4500.....

not a bad bike for under $500.00.I had the 4300 and it sucked mainly because the fork was generic so I took it back and got the one above.The rock shox is way better than the one on the 4300

·
Registered
224 Posts
I second the cyclocross idea.

I was in a similar situation and ended up picking up an old steel Trek 730. They started out as the first geezer/commuter/rails&trails style bikes that looked like mountain bikes. Some drop bars, nice shifters, and component upgrades later I have a sweet cyclocross bike.

I love the adapatability of tires. Now I have some 700x32 commuters on ; I also have some 700x35 knobbies for snow and trail, my last set of tires is a set of 700x45's which are just flat out fun to ride. Nothing like a "road bike" with pseudo-fatties

BTW, I too recently bought a GF Cobia and love it.

Hunter

21 - 40 of 54 Posts