Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my current rebuild of my 75 Scout II I am going full width. I have been collecting parts for the last couple of years so I have a lot to choose from. First as far as rear's go I have a Chev 14 bolt FF, a Ford Dana 60 FF and a Ford 31 spline 9". Front is going to be a Chev Dana 44 for now as I have not found a SRW 60 front yet. So because of the 44 front I am going to limit to 35" tires. Engine is a 350 Chev TBI (stock rebuild) with a TH350 automatic and a 203/205 doubler. Planning on 4.10:1's in the diffs and lockers front and rear. Suspension is spring over on stock springs.

So with all of this in mind which of the rear's I have should I run? The 14 and the 9" would be the easiest to match the front too running the 44 front as either 1/2 ton 5 lug or 3/4 ton 8 lug. I like the strength of the 14, but even with shaving it I wounder about ground clearance on 35's. The 9" has a lot more clearance, but it seems like they have some durability issues without major upgrades.
So what do you all think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go the Dana 60 FF. IMO at this stage of the build you're not running big tyres or heaps of power. Keep the 14 bolt for later when you find a '60 for the front and want bigger tyres. Sell the 9 inch. Then take it out on the tracks and have fun:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you're going bigger tires later 14bolt is what I would do. Very strong right out of the box and enjoys great aftermarket support. Why spend time and money putting in one axel to only have to take it out later and spend time and money to do another?

·
blatant asshole
11,749 Posts
14b. Youre allready looking for a d60 front so you know youll want the 14b later. Build it once and be done with it when the front is ready.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
60 and 9" are a waste of time, imo.

A fully shaved 14b has more clearance than a D60 anyway. My buddy has had one in his jeep on 37 km2 (which are like 35.5" tall) and has been happy with it for a few years. Another buddy on the other hand has an unshaved 14b on 43s and he drags it a lot :laughing:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea sounds like the 14 bolt is the way to go. So time to get out the grinder and see how much excess we can shave off the bottom. I have everything but the brackets (order them tomorrow) for the disc brake conversion. Stripped the drum brakes yesterday. It already has 4.10's that I plan on running so I'll get the locker ordered and away I go.
Thanks for the info---and thoughts. It is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
60 FF in the rear will do you just fine. 14B will as well.

My rig has had an IH 60FF in the rear for 15+ years and has been on 36's or 37's. I have never had an issue with the rear end and it gets used.

Put disc's on the 60, shave it, and you will be fine.

Last thing to think about is the track width you want to run.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
60 FF in the rear will do you just fine. 14B will as well.

My rig has had an IH 60FF in the rear for 15+ years and has been on 36's or 37's. I have never had an issue with the rear end and it gets used.

Put disc's on the 60, shave it, and you will be fine.

Last thing to think about is the track width you want to run.
I have a Ford FF60 mocked up under my Scout right now. The problem I have run into is I am using a Chev trans/case so I have a pass side diff. When I measured everything out the 60 was 66" WMS-WMS and the Chev 44 front is 69" WMS-WMS. I then measured a 14 bolt I was given and it measured out at 67" WMS. I kind of thought that 1 1/2" on each side difference with the 60 was a little more than I wanted to deal with. The 1" difference on the 14 bolt was a little more livable. I had at one point considered cutting the Chev front to match the 66" Dana 60, but that would put me into custom shafts and that was something I would like to avoid if possible.
It's going to cost me a little more to use the 14 because the 60 is in great shape, but when I drained the diff on the 14 there was noticeable metal in the gear oil. So I will be out a rebuild kit for it. Don't think I would ever break the FF 60, even on stock shafts as I am only planning 37's max. But the 14 is the right width with no mods so I think that is what I will use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts