1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive searched.

on your links for your 3 or 4 link suspensions
what do you think of:

metal - metal? (heims at each end, heim/johnny joint, etc)

- or -

metal - rubber/poly (heim or JJ at one end, bushing at the other)

what do you feel are the pros/cons of each?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'd have to say that costs play a vital role in determining whether or not a bushing can/should be used as well as geometry. If you wanted to, you could throw a heim anywhere a bushing is (stay on subject), but you can't necessarily use a bushing in place of a heim. IMO, It's also determined and trail only or road/trail useage.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a little more detail i guess:

ok, if heard that metal on metal links wear considerably faster, as there is no flexible end to absorb the vibrations. also, shock loads are transfered directly through metal on metal links, taking a considerable toll on heims, threads, etc etc. with a bushing on one end to absorb the vibrations, and to provide a little 'give', wear and breakage are reduced considerably.

BUT:

forget the textbook blah blah blah. i wanna hear from those people who are running both and abuse thier crap regularly. does metal on metal hold up? or are you constantly replacing heims, tightening jam nuts, suffering trail breakage? and if you ARE running metal on metal, do you use Johnny joints, 3/4 heims, or larger, more durable heims.

im not concerned abotu space or fit..just durability and performance.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
can't comment on the vibration thing, cause i'm using poly bushings and JJ's on my front end. But i can say i have sheared bolts on the polys and tore the tubing in half for one of the poly bushings.

the poly's only use a 9/16" bolt where the JJ's use 5/8". The poly sleeve i tore was one of the 2" x 0.120" wall. This is on a radius arm config so there is ALOT of torque going through this stuff. Gotta say it didn't break untill I put a 42 4-5 feet up a tree with the rear trying to climb a rock half the size of the truck... oh yeah the peddle was on the floor :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts