Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been just using cans of brake cleaner but that is getting expensive and always having to go get more is a PIA. Are those $70 parts washer from harbor frieght anygood? Aso if you get one of those how long does the fluid last till it needs to be changed and what do you do with the used stuff? Any other better solutions to cleaning greasy parts.

Matt

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I wouldn't use the parts washer from HF. Buy a spray can from Harbor that you can re-presurize with an air compressor, and then buy brake parts by the gallon. That's the cheapest way. Also, if you are going to buy brake parts cleaner by the can, I would suggest a brand called Something-X. I don't remember what the first word was, but it comes in a black can, and can be found at most parts stores. It is cheap and effective, but a simple warning to you. It will eat through a nitrile glove in about half an hour. It's nasty stuff. But better than the other brands I have used.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I love my harbor freight parts washer:flipoff2: I did spend more on some kick ass agintine cleaner than the washer, but that makes all the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I used to use a little brake cleaner and some hot water in the bath tub. But that is something I am no longer allowed to do.:confused: :D

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Toyoda said:
I used to use a little brake cleaner and some hot water in the bath tub. But that is something I am no longer allowed to do.:confused: :D

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
ECF said:
5 gallon bucket filled 2/3 full with diesel. Works much better than gas and it's cheap and easy.
Works for me, too!

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Usually gunk and a garden hose before disassembly.
Usually a bunh of rags and wd 40 after disassembly.

If it gets too bad, I'll haul them to work and use the parts washer.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Oven cleaner works good too

·
Registered
213 Posts
harbor freights washers works great, but a parts washer is a parts washer, and a far as the cleaner i use a solvent from safetykleen, works great.:beer:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Mine came from Homier, the traveling Harbor Freight...

$50-ish, IIRC.

I think it cost more to fill it than I paid for it.

5gal of Mineral Spirits are $20 at the parts store (OldScout's going to remind me I should've gone to the local oil place, but I didn't).. and the parts washer wouldn't start working until I got about 18gal in it (20gal washer - previously I'd used some solvent in a bucket, and had a few gallons left)

Haven't had a reason to clean/refill/whatever yet.

Not looking forward to it, either.. there's already a nice sludge at the bottom.

The Dana 60 had some mice living in it.. so after I shop vac'd the tubes, it got stuck in the parts washer, pinion side down, and washed extensively.. which included a cleaning wheel on my air drill, too.. :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
I use one of the cheap 20 gallon parts washers with mineral spirits. For larger stuff, a pressure washer and the Castrol tough task degreaser (comes in a purple jug) is about unbeatable. It will etch aluminum parts though. I have cleaned totally nasty axles, xfer cases, engine blocks, etc., near as good as a hot tank this way.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i know a guy who put a cheapo dishwasher he got at a garage sale in his shop, worked great but a little limited on size...

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have to agree w/ the napta stuff in a parts washer. Just leave the stream on it for about an hour and come back w/ a stiff brush. Knocks off the grime pretty good. Oven cleaner and an afternoon in the sun works well on large peices. Also, Pep Boys sells some brake cleaner in a big yellow can, I think its .99/can, works freakin' awesome. It will eat through paint in no time.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm poor,I use my tooth brush and a little tub of gas or diesel.

My old tooth brush that is:D

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was really surprised what liquid dishwashing detergent will get off. Like Cascade or generic. Got nearly all of the gunk off the inside of my valve cover.

I mostly use kerosene in a 5 gal. bucket for now. Wish I had a parts washer with a lid to keep down the smell.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts