Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a side thought to The Mudflap post

What are the mudflap laws in California? When I got pulled over for the lack of mud flaps on my '79 Toy, the officer claimed that any auto must have mudflap coverage down to a 5deg angle coming out from the back contact patch of the tire. What is the true CA law, and where do we find it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
When I got a ticket, the prick told me my tires stuck out to far and I needed mud flaps. I was only running 33x12.5's on 8" wheels
on an 85 toy, they only stuck out about 1/2-3/4 of an inch.
When I got the ticket signed off they gave me a peice of paper that had a formula to figure mudflap length. I think it went something like this. You need to measure from the center of your
rear wheel to the rear most overhang behind the tires, then divide it by 3. What ever you come up with is how far from
the ground the flap needs to be. (that is what I remember it was
about 5 years ago????)
I argued with the cop I had sign it off because he said my flapps
were not long enough. I told him the broncos they drive (chp ones) are not legal according to this formula.
he did sign it off.
The fawked thing is that ALL jeeps that do not have flaps
are breaking the law if you use this formula.:confused: :mad:

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
landcruisers and jeeps we get away with alota shit.

sh27600.

No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or
more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with
fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or
unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate
protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or
mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or
attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread.
This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from
registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of
under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered
prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500
pounds.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov

sorry guys very vague to me the above link has the rules it's up to to much discretion. only thing i found.:) next thing any one here of a 1971 and older vehicle less than 1,500 lbs.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
ironpig70 said:
sh27600.

No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or
more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with
fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or
unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate
protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or
mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or
attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread.
This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from
registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of
under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered
prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500
pounds.
In other words, any vehicle on the road, according to the officers drescection!!:flipoff2: I argued this one, and lost also.:(

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arguing the point is useless! While I was pulled over for it, and asking ezactly what the law was, I sat there pointing out every auto that went by, and his about the law as he stated, and how they didn't meet it. his responce to all of this is that they ignore stock autos, and since I have lifted, and did other work on my truck, I should be held to the higher standard.:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. A CHP officer pulled me over a few months ago for not having mudflaps...he spent 1" telling me I should have mudflaps and then another 20" looking over my truck and asking me what lift I've got on it, who did the work, how much it cost me to build it up, etc... :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I sure love Nevada. Not even fender laws here. Open wheels, no problem. :flipoff2:

If you don't like the mud,wash,dirt flinging off the tires, backoff or go around.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yep, they leave us alone about that crap. One time I was playing in the mud pits off I80 by Verdi, and I pulled straight onto the highway when I was done. I could see huge chunks of mud flying everywhere as I drove. There was a car behind me in the fast lane, and it got the old "mud rain" treatment. As it went by me, I noticed that it was an NHP. He didn't even look over, just hit his wipers as he went by.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just brag a little more :D They got me with my 33" on several years ago for my tire sticking out less than 1/2", luckily the cop had to run but he did say he was going to put it on my record as a warning (yeah right).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had some pretty outrageous shit in my day for vehicles with bigger than stock tires and have never been bothered by the flap problem. I geuss when your a fireman and deal with the sherrifs and chp's they don't get real technical with the mudd flap laws. unless you attract trouble to yourself like driving around with your rig covered in mud with chunks falling off trying to be cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts