Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that has a 81 CJ7 and he is putting a 9" in the back that is 58" WMS to WMS he has a 30 in the front now and would be fine having a 30 in the front in the end but needs something wider and disc brake so my question is what is the rite choice to get it from? Is there a Jeep that has a 30 front that will swap in that can keep his brake parts? This jeep sees alot of payvement and some mild wheeling so strength is not much of a concern.
Thanks for any info I do not know a thing about jeeps.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't think there is going to be anything wider that he won't have to move the front springs outside the frame. If he did move them, he could put a Scout II front end in(30).

He may as well put in a 44 if he is going to do the swap. He should get a Wagoneer 44 front and move the springs outside the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If it is a 81 it should allready have disk brakes on the front. Any CJ after 76 did.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
a scoutII front d44 will have the right bolt pattern and the width is about right. if you don't want to outboard the springs i say get a dana30 from a wide track cj. if i remember right they are like 56-58" wide and it'll bolt right up. me personally i'd go d44 and outboard the springs but if bolt in is what you want this is pretty much your only option outside of a custom built unit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Go with a Waggy front axle due to the caster issue on the scout II. They you can cut it down to fit the narrow track. Or you should replace both axles to 58-60" wide.

Scout II 58" wide
Waggy 58.5" Wide
Narrow Track 53" wide

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you go with the waggy front, and convert to 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern w/ f150 hubs and rotors, your width will be about 61" wms to wms. Its actually a benefit to have the front a little wider than the rear for better turning radius. If the width difference is too much for your liking you can go with some billet wheel spacer from performance wheel and tire or ox trax or similar products. I'd go with a '74 to '76 waggy D44, its a little beefier than the scout II, has 4 deg. of caster, and has flat top knuckles for hi-steer. What more could you ask for? O.K..... maybe a D60;)
Just my .02

-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran across a Chevy 1/2 ton 44 for cheap I think that I should be able to swap to 5x5.5 disc stuff for reasonable I guess I will need to move the springs out to accommodate the wider axel ( I have not paid much attention but I would assume it is because the pumpkin and spring pad are in the same place ) I will have to narrow it everyone says wagoneer why that instead of a Chevy other than the obvious 5x5.5 instead of 6 lug like Chevy. Is there any good write-ups on doing the spring move? It sounds like a must and I told him I would help him out so I have to do what ever needs to be done. Also what does everyone think of moving the pumpkin slightly off center in the front to keep from having to outboard the springs I would say if possible no more than 2 to 3"
TIA

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
A Chevy 44 is going to be a bit wider than the Waggie. You're probably looking at 64-65". Changing the lug pattern to 5 on 5.5" adds another inch. My six lug, narrow trac Waggie 44 is 61.5" WMS to WMS. You can narrow the long side of the Chevy 44 and kill two birds with one stone. It would allow you to keep the springs under the frame and centered along with getting the width closer to the 9" in the rear. The plus to the Chevy 44's is that they are already set up for spring over. That could be a detriment if your friend is spring under and doesn't want to change.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is SOA so the chevy seems to be the way to go then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts