Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was licensed on a 7 ton and a Humvee in the Marine Corps. The 7 ton was, in my opinion, bad fucking ass.:smokin:

However, I have never seen one on tv, the news, in a movie, or in a magazine. Do they still use them? I would love to pick one up at a DRMO or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
7 ton? Are you sure you are talking about an H1? Please post up a picture or set down your drink :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow, I am surprised no one has heard of it. Oshgosh made it. I was in 02'-06'
When they were new they had:
MK-23-short bed
MK-25-short bed w/ winch
MK-27-Long bed
MK-28-Long bed w/ winch

Every model had a locker in every axle, and CTIS system, Caterpillar 6 cyl turbo diesel, and you could break down the cab so it would load on to a ship or C-130

They also made a wrecker model, and a dump bed model. Was the replacment of the 5-ton.

Don't tell me I am the only one who has seen these....:eek:
On all of Pirate too.:D
Oh, it was so sick, never got one stuck and could ford like 4-5 feet of water.:smokin:
All 6 wheels would be CHURNING!!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7 ton? Are you sure you are talking about an H1? Please post up a picture or set down your drink :flipoff2:
I am NOT talking about a Humvee.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was a 7 ton driver as well. When I was in they were gettin rid of the 5 tons at end of 2002. We were the first unit at Camp Lenuene to get them. I was attached to a artillery unit. The first one we got They told us to try and break it. The old 5 tons could barely get up to 30 over sand. They rode horrible and bounced everywhere. The 7 tons smoked across the sand easily. With tons of power! We hit a berm and got the front tires off the ground. The 5 ton was Havin alot of problem towing the howitzers and they were always breakin down. Now the 7 tons are tearing up the howitzers cause the so powerful. You can easily forget your towing Somethin if you don't look in ur sidemirrors.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not the best pict of one but I'm 6'5". Each tire mounted on a rim weighed over 500lbs. The biggest thing that sucked about them was Havin to climb into the back. When driving one you easily sat 3-4 feet higher than a tractor trailer.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bump for the morning guys. Tell me more. I know all about them, but I want to hear YOUR stories!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MTVR.

Still in use by the army. I see them everyday at Ft Carson. Mainly a USMC vehicle though.
This is news to me. I thought the Army had their own funky looking trucks, and the 7 ton was a USMC only vehicle. I know they probably use it, but on LeJeune, the motor pools were full of them. I have been to Ft. Drum in NY, and Ft. Bragg in NC, and I only ever saw one on Drum and it was Marines driving them. This is the Army truck. Weird ass cab over design:

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Wow, I am surprised no one has heard of it. Oshgosh made it. I was in 02'-06'
When they were new they had:
MK-23-short bed
MK-25-short bed w/ winch
MK-27-Long bed
MK-28-Long bed w/ winch

Every model had a locker in every axle, and CTIS system, Caterpillar 6 cyl turbo diesel, and you could break down the cab so it would load on to a ship or C-130

They also made a wrecker model, and a dump bed model. Was the replacment of the 5-ton.

Oh, it was so sick, never got one stuck and could ford like 4-5 feet of water.:smokin:

I've seen rows of those lined up at the motor pool in Ft. Benning, GA.

J. J.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No one else has heard of this truck?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mike Rowe did an episode on Dirty Jobs where he changes the tire and wheel on one and drove it through the tank trap. Cool show. Also I have seen them on the road a couple of times in Fayteville NC sure I didn't spell that right.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts

Looks like the ultimate zombie killing machine :smokin:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mike Rowe did an episode on Dirty Jobs where he changes the tire and wheel on one and drove it through the tank trap. Cool show. Also I have seen them on the road a couple of times in Fayteville NC sure I didn't spell that right.
that was the same one where he re-packed the wheel bearing too right?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Seen a few of them in Kuwait and Iraq carrying the TCN's around. Didn't look like U.S Forces driving or paint schemes.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
I saw Marines using them when I was in Baghdad in 2006. We didn't have them in the Army we had LMTVs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts