Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've known Jason for close to 10 years, he was one of the finest examples of humankind and god-given fabrication talent that I've ever met. I have been stuck in perma-build then family-mode for enough years that we never even got to take our rigs out together. I haven't been this sad in a long time. God dammit, he was just out there to film.:mad3:

Talked to the Sherrif's department up there, they need witnesses, so if anyone that saw what happened can call 530.573.3002, they would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I never had the privelege of meeting him but I can tell he was a class act. I am at a loss for words and a little sick to my stomach. His build thread is the first thing I'd check whenever I get on pirate. A real source of inspiration.

My condolences to the family.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
fyi
gmfullsize.com said:
From Esteban86k5 on Norcal:

I got a call yesterday at 6:15 from Jason Wilkins. He left a message and said that there was an incident with Jason and that he was being life flighted out and was being taken to the hospital in Tahoe. He told me to find his parents and give them the info. I didn't find his parents untill about 9pm and that is when we all found out that he drowned. His parents, my wife and I sat on their driveway last night in complete disbelief.

His Parents are having a really hard time not knowing what exactly happened. So if ANYONE hears ANYTHING from any of the guys out there please call me. 661-205-8364

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
RIP :( This is sad as hell... I feel like an @$$ for wanting to know what happened and how it happened... I can't imagine what those who are involved are feeling. I'm very very sorry. :( I didn't know him but my thoughts go to his friends and family!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've met Jason a few times as he posted on another board I'm a member of and we both live in the same town. He would always explain things to me since I'm not really a wheeler, yet he's the same guy that I know if I needed anything, he'd definitely be there for me. Jason was definitely an accomplished man, he knew EVERYTHING it seemed, and enjoyed spreading his knowledge without being a condescending prick. I honestly never thought I'd read this, and I hope it isn't true... but if it is, RIP Jason, you will be missed brother :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
from last years trip they camp first night soup kitchen, second night loon lake. so probably up at loon lake. top of the mountain they probably got sketch cell coverage or CB transmission out. as far as witnesses they're probably gonn take all day to get out and then they'll be questioned for at least 2-3 hours. so we may hear more later today or tomorrow.

i've had the unfortunate news this morning of sharing with closest friends and the families of those up on the Con. i pray they make it out safely and i pray for the family of Jason Payne. he was a truely awesome person and friend.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
RIP Jason.

Jason was a super cool guy. I met him only once in '99 when he made me some parts. I was just talking with him the other day about his trip to New Zealand.

I'm in Sacramento but let me know if I can help in anyway. I know he took his Dodge up there, but I'm close enough to help out.\
916-803-2282

Mike

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
I've met Jason numerous times. He was one of the nicest people in the 4x4 community that I ever met.

This is a great loss. My thoughts are with his parents, family and friends.

Happy Trails, Jason. :(

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
RIP Jason.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife just called me and the coroner is now wanting to talk to me for some reason. I placed a call and i'm waiting to hear back from him. I did find out that the incident apparently happened at Buck island lake.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I tried to Call Kyle Crowley BggrnChvy as i know him from GMFS. His phone goes stright to Voicemail. I left him a message asking him to call me back. I hope i hear from him to let you guys know.

41 - 60 of 340 Posts