Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 2wd toyota pickup. The truck came from the factory with EFI. Im wondering if anyone knows if the head is the same as 82 22r? I just want to replace my longblock and put all my intake and exhaust on the new motor. Will it bolt up? Thanks

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Make sure you move the efi fuel filter bracket as well. What year is the long block out of? There is a short deck and tall deck block depending on year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Will work out fine

1983-’84
In 1983 several changes were made.

Some models had fuel injection, but the only difference was the addition of some extra bolt holes to the intake manifold side for the EFI intake. This head will retro-fit back to the 1981-’82 head, but you can’t use the earlier head on an EFI ’83-’84 model.

For all the info you needhttp://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar119838.htm

and on my site you get an idea of how much you can mix and match with 20R 22R 22RE or like I did, 20REhttp://web.ncf.ca/ez273/20R%204Runner%20index%20page.htm

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
brocbronc said:
I have an 84 2wd toyota pickup. The truck came from the factory with EFI. Im wondering if anyone knows if the head is the same as 82 22r? I just want to replace my longblock and put all my intake and exhaust on the new motor. Will it bolt up? Thanks
Are you sure your truck is an 84? I was under the impression that none of the EFI trucks wer introduced until 85. Many of these trucks were produced in 84, but were released as an 85 model year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Stock '84 EFI

There is a stock '84 EFI pickup at a wrecker near my place. It was the first year they offered it as far as I know. Here in Canada at least.

If anyone near the Quebec/Ontario border wants it, I think it's still there. They say it ran fine when they parked it there. They asked 400$ Can. Too much, but I guess it can be negociated.

There is an '86 4x4 with a running motor near here too. It's got 248000 km on it but it's just 150$ Can.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
2RowTC4Runner said:
1983-’84
In 1983 several changes were made.

Some models had fuel injection, but the only difference was the addition of some extra bolt holes to the intake manifold side for the EFI intake. This head will retro-fit back to the 1981-’82 head, but you can’t use the earlier head on an EFI ’83-’84 model.

For all the info you needhttp://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar119838.htm

and on my site you get an idea of how much you can mix and match with 20R 22R 22RE or like I did, 20REhttp://web.ncf.ca/ez273/20R%204Runner%20index%20page.htm
ok so based on the info i quoted ... the 83 and 84 engines are interchangable? i got a line on an 83 without intake or exhaust, so my 84 intake and exhaust should match up to the 83 correct?

·
Registered
172 Posts
from my experience, yes

For my 20R-E project, I had bought an '83 carbed Celica head. It had all the alternate bolt holes for the EFI intake. The only reason I returned it is that it had a worn out cam race.

I'm running my EFI system on an '84 head now. It is the exact same head as the '83 I returned.

To bolt on an EFI intake you nead a head that has 15 holes (not counting the 3 for the EGR) for studs or bolts. You only end up using 10.

·
Registered
172 Posts
your 84 is carbed I presume

If it is, your even more assured that everything will bolt on. Your 84 intake can even be retrofitted to an 81-82 motor. The advantage with those is that you eliminate the timing chain guide breakage issue. Have I mentioned I love those double row TC motors?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Efi was first available on 83 Celicas, next 84 2wds, and finally 85 4wds.
All 81-82 22R's had a single intake bolt pattern. Beginng in 83, all 22R heads had the dual carb and efi intake pattern.
I have seen a number of 82 heads that had the added webbing for the efi pattern, but were never drilled and tapped.

Before you start this conversion, look on the side of the 82 head and check for the proper efi bolt pqattern.

Marlin

·
Registered
172 Posts
that reply was for mobil1syn

2RowTC4Runner said:
If it is, your even more assured that everything will bolt on. Your 84 intake can even be retrofitted to an 81-82 motor. The advantage with those is that you eliminate the timing chain guide breakage issue. Have I mentioned I love those double row TC motors?
But the 84 intake would also fit on the 82 head, as long as the 84 is carb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts