Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on 'Vortec Ignition' and came up with very little...

Along with every other LT1 owner, I'm not at all impressed with the optispark and want to replace it with something that I won't have to replace every 50K... So far I don't see an aftermarket system that completely eliminates the optispark.

So I'm wondering if the Vortec 350 Ignition system is also an optispark, or does it have a conventional distributor at the rear of the motor like older SBC's?

Is the Vortec block the same as the LT1 block? (And therefore any chance of the ignition systems interchanging?)

Paul 'X' :eek:

·
Registered
332 Posts
The 96-98's have essentially the same block chevy has always had with respect to you're question. I.E. - The dist is in the back attached to the pump and cam like normal.

As far as I can tell, there isn't anything like what you want yet. Several people I've spoken with said that their problem was going with reman or aftermarket parts (autozone and the like). All problems were solved by going to the dealer to be cornholed with no lube.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,160 Posts
To answer your other question:

No, the LT1 and 5.7L vortec are not the same block designs. The ignition will not cross.

You could try a later coil pack design, if your computer will controll the coils instead of the distributor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts