Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 78 Dodge 1 ton dually locally for $250 & I'm wondering what the front axle would be? Is it a D60? I always hear about Ford & Chevy D60 fronts, but don't remember Dodge?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If it's truly an one ton it should be a D60 front and either a D60 or D70 rear.

Sounds like a decent deal. You can get more than $250 out of it for scrap after you steal the drivetrain.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Not so, quite a few 1 ton trucks were sold with the D44HD front axle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know. Either way, I'll check it out good first, hopefully tonight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
if you see kingpins, its most likely a D60, but it also could be a D61

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's a D61?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
a bastard D60. you can run D60 gears with a ring gear spacer, but im not to fond of that idea, as are most people around here.

someone else may be able to explain the D61 better than me...

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
I believe the D61s were only in the later 80s and early 90s diesels, correct?

·
Registered
954 Posts
no 61s back then.

I woudln't even look. for $250 I would buy it then worry about if it has a 60 or not.

Hell, if you don't buy it, I will come buy it and then smack you with a dead fish.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no 61s back then.

I woudln't even look. for $250 I would buy it then worry about if it has a 60 or not.

Hell, if you don't buy it, I will come buy it and then smack you with a dead fish.
:D

I'm sure I will!! As long as it's not totally trashed. It's got everything but the engine, he says.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I've never heard of a 44 with dually hubs.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very early trucks came with dually dana 44, (like late 60's), so in that year it would be a 60 front with external flanges. The 61 front only came in diesel trucks during the early 90's that were equiped with the 727 trans. They were designed to run very high gear ratios to gain some mileage out of a non overdrive trans.

This must be ask the same question about Dodge axles week!

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Very early trucks came with dually dana 44, (like late 60's), so in that year it would be a 60 front with external flanges. The 61 front only came in diesel trucks during the early 90's that were equiped with the 727 trans. They were designed to run very high gear ratios to gain some mileage out of a non overdrive trans.

This must be ask the same question about Dodge axles week!
I'll give you that, old closed knuckle stuff. I had a 44 front in my 71 W200 that had the large knuckle outers. The "ball" on the ends of the axle were easily the size of a softball.
Travis..

·
Registered
954 Posts
yeah, I didn't even notice he said dually.

In that case it is definitely a 60

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took a look at it tonight & it's definitely a D60. He said he thought it had 4.88 gears, but wasn't positive, maybe 4.10. Anyhow, it didn't look too bad at all. Now I just have to talk the wife into it! She got me into Jeeps, so it shouldn't be too hard, although money's a little tight this month.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Heck, I'd do whatever I could to scrap together $250 for a truck that I could make more than that in scrap on and get a free D60 to boot.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Might be a Dana 70

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Might be a Dana 70
The last Dodge 70 front that I'm aware of was in '74 in '75 they went to the open knuckle fronts and they were all 60s.

Gus

1 - 20 of 34 Posts