Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a "F250 super duty"?

K, not familiar with F250, but the time has conme and I am starting to look for a F350 or F250 used, 99 and up as a Tow rig :D I definitely want Diesel and 4x4. Was pretty sold on getting a F350 until a buddy told me some F250's may have a front D60. I came across some F250 "super duties", so what does the super duty mean? Is it a one ton setup? How can I identify F250's after 99 that would have one ton setup (aside from driving over and taking a look under the truck ;)?

I came across a good deal for a F250 diesel, super cab 1999 about 150K miles for about 7 grand, 4x4 as well, whatcha think?

Thanks for the help,

Gui

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
Super duty is how Ford refers to their heavy duty pickups. You used to be able to get an F250 light duty which shared a bodystyle with the F150, and the Superduty. They've since discontinued the F250 (non-superduty) so all new ones are "Super Duty."

I believe in 2002, they started installing D60s in ALL Superduty trucks. Prior to that (99-01) ALL 4wd single rear wheel trucks, even F350s, will have the Dana 50 front axle.

·
Registered
323 Posts
99-04 F250 and 350 have basically the same spring setup on each except the f350 has a 4" block in the rear while the 250 has a 2" block in the rear which is why the f350's rear has a higher look...the front springs and rear springs are slightly thicker according to ford on the 350's but I've never been able to see it and i've done quite a few of them. Ford goofed in 1999 and some 2000's with the front springs and made them dutched(berlin) like a chevy and they kept breaking like chevy rear mains(gm still hasn't figured this out) do so they switched back to an eye on top of the springs(look at front of spring and see if there's a big gap between the 2 leaves up front)and if there is switch it out with 99-04(99-00 with large radius ubolts, all 01-04's) front springs. If you plan on towing you may as well add a leaf to the rear cause those 250's and 350's can't hold anything and it's a good way to get a few inch lift and serve a hauling purpose at the same time(add a leaf up front to level if so desired)....it's my favorite truck to do spring work on because of the 3" width of leaf springs on front and rear(except they switched to coils in 05)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
geberhard said:
I came across a good deal for a F250 diesel, super cab 1999 about 150K miles for about 7 grand, 4x4 as well, whatcha think?
Just so you know, Ford made some changes to the 99.5 since they introduced the superduty earlier that year (from TDS):

Fender badge for the PSD removed, door badge added.
Lumbar seat deleted
New front-intake "cool-box" air filter box (Older models retrofitted to this style)
New down pipe
Bed body side molding removed.
Passenger side airbag standard across the line
Passenger lumbar removed
"Superduty" added to the rear tailgate badge for 350
Larger turbo
Catalytic converter removal
New injectors
Lower restriction intercooler

·
Premium Member
108,048 Posts
KansasJoe said:
99-04 F250 and 350 have basically the same spring setup on each except the f350 has a 4" block in the rear while the 250 has a 2" block in the rear which is why the f350's rear has a higher look...the front springs and rear springs are slightly thicker according to ford on the 350's but I've never been able to see it and i've done quite a few of them.
Only true on the SRW trucks. Duallies are different.

When I was looking before I bought mine, I read on a Ford truck forum that the only difference was what you said above and that the best money was to buy a F250 and save some bones.

·
Registered
81 Posts
geberhard said:
Thanks gang, so as far as axles, I should be expecting D50 for the front, and not a D60 on a Super Duty F250 99?

Gui
The only ones with the heavier axles are the F350's and above... Look at the front wheels. The ones with a reverse dish are the HD axles.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It is just the model name tag line ford uses for the 250+ trucks. But don't kid yourself, they are beefy and actually ride like "superduty" trucks.

Adrianspeeder

1 - 10 of 10 Posts