Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have a welder or metal cutting tools to do it myself.

So what would be a fair price to have an HP60 shaved ?

How much extra clearance should I expect ?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure. Depends on what I can get (clearance wise) from just doing the housing.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Buy a grinder and a few cut off wheels. You can shave~ 3/4"-1, more if you go past the bottom bolt. The important thing is to make it smooth.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
300 was the rate a couple years ago I belive at WMS. I might be wrong but seem to remember a friend having his shaved there for that price. It also was not in a rig for that price.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Buy a grinder and a few cut off wheels. You can shave~ 3/4"-1, more if you go past the bottom bolt. The important thing is to make it smooth.
You do this with a HP housing and you'll be able to see the ring gear. With a low pinion housing, you can just grind a bit. That would be an expensive mistake to make. Pull the cover and check out the profile inside the housing and compare it to the outside of the housing and you will quickly see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I shaved my HP60 and took 1/4 off the ring gear, and I would leave the ring gear alone if I had to do it over! It was not worth the extra work for the small amount of clearance. It is much easier and fun to push down on the pedal some more and ramp over the rock :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just smoothed the bottom of mine and it works very nice. All you have to do is buy a grinder and grind it smooth. You dont have to take alot off of it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Wow. I need a rate increase. Whereas I usually charge $180 for a rear shave (no cover mods), I charge $200 to do this on an HP60, because of the extra ridge on the inside, which can be a PITA to weld around.

This is with no cover mods - I'll typically do those for $40.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
You do this with a HP housing and you'll be able to see the ring gear. With a low pinion housing, you can just grind a bit. That would be an expensive mistake to make. Pull the cover and check out the profile inside the housing and compare it to the outside of the housing and you will quickly see what I mean.
That's a given, check before before you grind...I was including shaving off the "lip" in my estimate, not 3/4" past the bottom of the diff cover. He didn't say how crazy he wanted to get with it...:flipoff2:
Just grind it smooth, keep all bolts.
Grind a little more... loose bottom bolt on diff cover.
Grind a little more... replate bottom of diff, custon diff cover.
Grind a little more... shave the ring gear, too...replate, custom diff cover.

Then he ends up with the Erik DeLUX special..OK so his was a 14B, but still...

He said he didn't have a welder...I'm thinkin' option 1, grind it smooth to start with...then see if he wants to drop the coin replating the bottom of the diff and machining the ring gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts