Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the title says it all i am looking for a 3" lift for my 2007 fj and wondering what some of your thoughts are on them or should i just wait and save up for a 6" lift ? also with a 3" will 33's fit on after market rims w/ some back spacing ?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ok so the title says it all i am looking for a 3" lift for my 2007 fj and wondering what some of your thoughts are on them or should i just wait and save up for a 6" lift ? also with a 3" will 33's fit on after market rims w/ some back spacing ?
There are issues with rim fitment on the FJ Cruiser that are not well addressed by just specifying the rim's diameter, width and backspace. This is because of the front brake calipers which project outward past the wheel mounting surface.

For reference, consider this thread from the FJ Cruiser Forums:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/fj-cruiser-technical-articles/47205-wheel-back-spacing-offset-explained-illustrated.html

The suspension on your FJ Cruiser has a range of travel up and down from the position that it sits at rest. A 3" lift kit changes the resting position but it does not alter the range of travel. If a given wheel/tire combination would rub somewhere without the 3" lift, then it will aslo rub WITH the lift kit installed, but it will be under 3" more suspension compression when it happens.

Given an appropriate rim for the FJ Cruiser (see above), 33" tires can be made to fit with a variety of backspace choices. 33" tires come in a variety of widths. The wider the tire, the closer it comes to rubbing when the wheels are turned and the suspension compresses upward. The most vulnerable spot for rubbing/interference is at the body mount bracket behind the front wheel well. This is covered by part of the plastic front mud flap assembly.

As rim backspace decreases, the entire wheel assembly sticks out farther from the steering knuckle and swings a larger arc front to back when you steer. Depending on the actual measured diameter of your tire choice (33" is what it's sold as, but tires are typically less than their advertised diameter by a variable amount) and depending on the measured width, you will have more or less room to play with.

A 33x12.50 tire on a rim with 4.5" of backspacing (depending on the actual cut of the tire) may fit without rubbing, but will rub when put on a wheel with 4.0" of backspace... yes, it's THAT close... and a 32x11.50 will likely tolerate the 4.0" backspacing better.

I strongly suggest you learn about the "body mount chop" and I would refer you to the FJ Cruiser Forums for a huge amount of reading material on the topic. The body mount chop is a modification to the offending part of metal that interferes with the tire and expands the number of options you have for wheels and tires.

6" lift kits are completely different designs and are much less frequently used by people who intend to put the independently front suspended FJ Cruiser through it's toughest tests. They're most frequently used by people who want to fit 35" tires but for predominantly on-road driving. 35" tires with a 3" lift kit obligate more substantial modifications to the wheel well.

If you want to modify an FJ Cruiser's suspension system, you should start by figuring out exactly what you want your vehicle to do, and then look to see what changes would help you get it to do that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i really enjoyed me allpro set up and used it from everything from jumping sand dunes in florida to mud bog to rock crawling at tellico i think there great i used the front coilovers and rough country springs in the rear heres a pic

·
Registered
776 Posts
a bit of a hijack,my mother in laws priest,yes priest wants me to lift his 07 fj 3".it won't be wheeled he plans on running the stock tires and wheels.money is also a concern any suggestions? he mentioned spacers any opinions on them?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Stick with the Old Man Emu kit. It is the best cheap left you can get out there w/o jumping into the coil over market. Coil spacers are a waste of time, all they do is compress the factory spring down even further or worse yet stack a spacer onto of the strut assembly. Allows for poor vehicle handling and performance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Old Man EMU all the way I put one on my buddies rig and he has wheeled the crap out of it. plus there are no spacers they are longer springs and they ride freakin awsome

·
Registered
410 Posts
I agree. Old Man Emu is the best bang for the money. No squeaking rod ends!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Stick with the Old Man Emu kit. It is the best cheap left you can get out there w/o jumping into the coil over market. Coil spacers are a waste of time, all they do is compress the factory spring down even further or worse yet stack a spacer onto of the strut assembly. Allows for poor vehicle handling and performance.
I have revtek spacers on mine now, and I completely agree with you.

Looking forward to fixing that :grinpimp: and going with the SAW / OME kit instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another good option is to use the Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable struts in the front. You can get around 2.5" of front lift, while reusing your stock springs. The front shocks go for around $100 retail each. Part# BE5-C475-H0 That way you are getting the lift and you are getting an excellent ride because of the new shocks. Will clear 285's (33's) no prob with aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Old Man Emu is a great ride a performs very well. I have the heavy springs in the front and med. in rear. Replace the struts and shock with OME and you will love the look and ride. Ive had mine on for about a year now and love it. I originally had the med. springs on the front but with the ARB bumper I have it had to much rake for me. Switched out the the heavies and couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I run OME heavy front med rear, got 30k+ on it. No issues, other than I need to chop the body mount. I get a l title rubbing in tight turns under compression. Running 33s. Thinking bout going with 6" of lift to run 35s

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had BFG KM2 315/75/16 installed with stock rims I did the BMC. The 3in Toytec liftkit is in the mail. Drove around all weekend no rubbing at full turns didn't do any major wheeling. Anyway the KM2 did great in the snow.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts