Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found one that i can get for dirt cheap. It says New process and the model is a 542. The ratio is a 7.24!
Ive been told it is a 4 speed... ive never heard of this tranny have you guys?

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,027 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Very heavy duty 5-speed. I found one in an old truck that someone dumped by a riverbed a long time ago. The truck was a really old flat-bed 2-ton+ rated city delivery Dodge truck with an old 318 V8. They only made them in 2wd versions though and finding replacement parts for them is IMPOSSIBLE. I forget which gears are synchronized, but not all of them are. I had a whole bunch of literature on them but it was so long ago its long gone now. Ultimately, its probably not worth your time. You'll have to use a divorced t-case or custom-make an adapter and people aren't breaking SM420's or 465's, so the added weight and bulletproofness is probably wasted.

Guidolyons is rigth about it beign similar to a Clark ... in fact during my research I foudn that there are a few Clark models of tranmissions that most of the parts were interchangeable with. But, IIRC, the Clark version was the one with the 7.xx low gear and the 542 had a higher granny. Anyone who used those trannies back in the day in anything sought out the Clark versions and trashed the 542's. The Clarks were synchronized more, IIRC also.

J. J.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
heres a pic of a clark with a dana 300. I'm picking it up saturday. lucky for me someone else spent $$$ to build it then it sat for years. I'm getting it for pennies on the dollar. :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I have one, it is the NP542GL model. It is direct in 5th, with 1st and R being unsynchronized. Mine came out of a 1984 Chevy C60 school bus chassis, originally behind a TD427. It has a 13" clutch. The bellhousing is SAE (forget what #), and has a steel adapter that mates it to a Chevy pattern. It has a bolt on ujoint flange, IIRC it takes a 1480 size joint. EDIT: forgot, mine has the 7.33 1st gear. I believe yours has slightly different ratios except for 5th, use google and you can find exactly what they are. I also think yours has a different suffix (not GL), but I'm not sure. Also, notice the shift tower isn't bolt on like that Clark, but it is aluminum like the smaller NP trannies.
I was going to run this with a divorced t-case, but now probably not going to go that route.

Here it is sitting on a Radio Flyer wagon for size reference:

Shift pattern (and most likely why you were told it was a 4 speed, just like how the newer SM465s were called 3 speeds because of the L):

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
with the shifter base housing like that there is serious short throw shifter potential.
Im not sure what the gap between the gears are yet all I know it has a 7:1 first and a direct 5th. if the rest are more close ratio I just might.... :smokin:

going on a 4bt/6bt? looks like one in the background...
naaa that pic was from the guy im getting it off of Saturday. I do have a 4bt but thats up in Washington state. Jim Maules is building me a Cadillac adapter for it and its getting stuffed into whats left of a scout. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool thanks for the info guys... for the $25 bucks i can get it for i think it might just be worth it to pull it all apart and mess with it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
there are 3 different versions of the new process 542 5 speed truck trans listed in the charts i have. the 542-d is 6.15 in first. 2ed is3.30. 3rd is1.86. 4th is 1.17. 5th is direct ( 1 to 1 ). the 542-L is 7.24 in first. 4.33 in 2ed. 2.61 in 3rd. 1.59 in 4th. 5th is direct. reverse is 7.22. the 542-O is 6.15 in first. 3.30 in second. 1.86 in 3rd. direct in 4th. .85 in 5th (overdrive). this info out of 1972hollander book. you should see all the clark 5 speed tranny options/gear ratios avaliable. was collecting info on them years ago to do a big block tow rig. hope this info helps you . before buying call a truck parts place and see what is still avaliable for them parts wise and more importantly how much $$ for the parts.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Talk about a useful post :flipoff2:

I also forgot to mention that it appears you can use the bellhousing on my 542 to adapt a Spicer 3053A tranny to a Chevy engine.
Hmmmm... I don't recall anywhere in his original post that he asked anything other than "Have we ever heard of one?" Sooooo, yep, I have heard of one. Heck I have even seen one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do any of you guys know how to tell if it is a overdrive model from the numbers on the case? I have not found any links that provide this info and it is hard to tell if the trans is still in the truck and the truck is dead.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Np 542

I just joined...and I realize thi is an old thread. But I put (driving it today!) one of those in a 1977 Jeep CJ5 , back in 1992-93. It came out of one of my Dad's Studebaker trucks. a rusted out 1964 1\2 ton! Kind of overkill for a 1\2 ton...OR a Jeep CJ
Apparently Studebaker had Clark 5-speeds in some of their trucks: 1\2 ton, up to 1 1\2 ton..the Clark has a 1:1 5th gear. My New Process has a 27% O.D. and about a 6.5 Granny 1st.
She has a Dana 300 adapted...and a modified Gremlin bell-housing:D....and a SHORT rear driveshaft

1 - 18 of 18 Posts