Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am over in Iraq right now and would like to get some axle housings made so when I come home I can set them up and then install them under my TJ.

Well I found a guy who says he can build me a D44HP and a standard D44 for $1850. That seems a little steep to me. This is just the housings plus the brackets for a TJ. What should I be paying for bare housings with brackets?

I found some D44 Rubicon housings on Ebay for $600 front and the rear but am worried about the stock brackets. Yes I know D44's are not that big but I am only planning on running 36-37" tires, plus I have a 4popper.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Rubi axles aren't that great, the factory brackets can tear, I think they use a different-than-normal D44 gear set, and most importantly they use all D30 outers.

seems to me that would come out to about $900 for labor and profit, that seems a bit steep to me, but I'm a cheap, poor college student and do my own fabrication.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
BrettM said:
Rubi axles aren't that great, the factory brackets can tear, I think they use a different-than-normal D44 gear set, and most importantly they use all D30 outers.

seems to me that would come out to about $900 for labor and profit, that seems a bit steep to me, but I'm a cheap, poor college student and do my own fabrication.

Give us a ring. 330.549.9082 We have everything you need in stock.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
$1850 seems a litte steep but lets break it down.

$500 for axles.

$100 for cutting down front axle (most likely going to have to)

$300 for Brackets (if you want to go that route)

That's 900 alone right there, not including assembly, disassembly, break parts etc. Then there's labor. That price doesn't seem too far out.

I would still go the 60 route at least in the rear, a rear 60 is really not any more to build that a rear 44 unless you cut it down and go 35 spline etc.

You might also want to rework the rear suspension to get rid of the trackbar. Look into this a bit more....you're opening a whole can of worms. Do your research. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts