Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out what the specs are of a dana 35 and a chrysler 8.25.
I have heard a lot of different opionins on this and I am trying to find out what kind of strenght difference there is on these.
I really want to put dana 44's under it, but at this time the money is not available, so I am working with what I have.
I here some same that a 35 with a super 35 kit is very strong, and then I here that a 8.25 is even stronger, but I can not find any specs to see which is better.
I have even heard that an ford 8.8 is even strong than both of these.

Please explain
Any help would much be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
go with the 8.8... way stronger than the 8.25 and the 35. Plus you can usually get 4.10's if you find one from an exploder with a sport package. If you get one from 95 and up, they came with disc brakes stock. <IMG SRC="smilies/bender.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I will supply you with the stock POR answer to this question, even though I am not a subscriber to the club yet....

dana 60 is your only choice.

it's illegal to supply information about the dana 35 on this board

<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
All I know about the D35 is that it weighs so little that it can be easily removed alone. I removed mine unassisted and loaded it onto my trailer. You would do well to do the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Originally posted by BRUISER:
<STRONG>I am trying to find out what the specs are of a dana 35 and a chrysler 8.25.
I have heard a lot of different opionins on this and I am trying to find out what kind of strenght difference there is on these.
I really want to put dana 44's under it, but at this time the money is not available, so I am working with what I have.
I here some same that a 35 with a super 35 kit is very strong, and then I here that a 8.25 is even stronger, but I can not find any specs to see which is better.
I have even heard that an ford 8.8 is even strong than both of these.

Please explain
Any help would much be appreciated.</STRONG>
<IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> 60's 60's 60's is the appropriate answer.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Dana 35c- 27 spine <IMG SRC="smilies/puke.gif" border="0">
Chrysler 8.25- 29 spline <IMG SRC="smilies/puke.gif" border="0">
Dana 44- 30 spline <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0">
Ford 8.8- 31 spline, disc brakes <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0">
Dana 60- 35 spline <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0">
Nathan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
Originally posted by Jim M:
<STRONG>All I know about the D35 is that it weighs so little that it can be easily removed alone. I removed mine unassisted and loaded it onto my trailer. You would do well to do the same.</STRONG>
the d35 should be light enough for the trashman to pick up on his own
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,757 Posts
I'm sorry.....I thought you asked a question about......

wait a minute.....are 35's and 8.25's really axles? I thought that was a twig I picked up on the last trail and threw it out! damn...well I gues that getting rid of those flimsy pieces of tin was my first mod....

hell, I went nine inch and 44 off an eb before I even put any lift on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Originally posted by Billy Badass:
<STRONG> <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> 60's 60's 60's is the appropriate answer.....</STRONG>
Hell, 60's 60's 60's were last year...

Now it's mogs, mogs MOGS!!! <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well let me just say I appreciate the straight answers from a few of you, about the spline and size of different axles, and of course that I should really run 44's, 9' or 60's.

But for the rest that talk big and really do not have a clue about the axles size



You know who you are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok another question to add to this.

As it looks right now the best bet for me would to put an 8.8 or a 44 in it.

So If I go with a 44 in the rear then I will also go with a 44 in the front

But if I put a 8.8 in, then what size axle should I put in the front to run 35's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Since you don't say what rig you have the standard answer is: 60s <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0"> or if you have a 95 YJ or TJ keep it or 60, if you have an earlier YJ go '95 shafts for $200 or 60s. Get it? <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">
 

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
Joined
·
62,010 Posts
For 35's - I would suggest a front 44 and a rear 44 or 9".

Anything less will be just not up to the long term use of 35's, lockers, and wheeling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the honesty DRM, on what it takes to run 35's safely with the least amount of breakage long term.

What I am currently driving is an XJ, I know it is not hard core, but for the time being that is what I have to work with, until I build another "Hard Core Vehicle"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,289 Posts
Bruiser,

Go into a little more detail. You might have said if you currently have a D35 or 8.25, but I didn't see it. Also tell us what year your XJ is. At least it would help me. <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TornadoTJ,

I have a '98XJ with an 8.25 in it right now w/ 29 spline.
What I have been doing is pricing what it cost to lock and regear what I have, or what it would cost to upgrade,lock and regear.
I also was just wondering what strenght the 35 is because I have some freinds that run that and I was curious to see the comparison and what he advantage would have been for chrysler to change from the 35 to the 8.25 in the XJ
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top