Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently building my roll cage/chasis and I am having trouble in one area- the spreader bar behind the seats. The seats go back just far enough that they wont allow me to put the spreader bar straight from one node to the other (which I understand would be the strongest way). So the question is, would it be stronger/better if I bend the spreader a few degrees to connect the nodes or make it straight but be an inch or so off the node? Maybe I can put some sort of gusset to support both tubes or what? -Thanks in advance

I almost forgot, This is a competition vehicle so it must be strong. -Thank you

·
Registered
873 Posts
Could you post a diagram of what you are talking about? I'm not clear as to what tubes your question pertains to.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I had the same deal- I kept the bar straight and fudged an inch on the node- there were 6 bars coming into this node area and 1" is not much of a lever arm to overcome all of that. Did one 3/4 barrel roll already- on hard rock, did not phase it.

If you do elect to bend it I would use a small bend at each end rather than a single in the center. I bet you could just run it straight and squeeze a gusset in around the seat to connect to your node center. Good luck:D

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
What part of NJ are you from?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im in upper N.J. almost on Lake Hopatcong. The shop is in ledgewood.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
go straight across and then bend it before the node connection. If your worry about the bend gusset the inner bend or triangulate the tube above and below

1 - 7 of 7 Posts