Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took apart my front end to install arb and look what i found laying in my diff oil...what is it? where did it come from? and do i need it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
It sits at the end of the housing (about 2" in ward of your inner axle seal), and helps keep oil from flowing into the knuckles.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so this would be a pain in the a$$ to get back in...is improtant? should i try to put it back in? or can i get by without it?

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I don't know how hard it is to put one back in. I've never had to do it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Mine came out, too, a long time ago. I never bothered to put it back. Should be OK without it (I hope). No problems yet, anyway.:D

Although it does make it a little more difficult to slide the axle in. Mine came out of the long side. It acts as a fulcrum to keep pressure off the oil seal when you push the axle into the third member.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i looked down my axle tube and didnt see another one so dont know where it went, so ill go without it... probally be a pain in the arse to put back in anyway...thanks anyways guys- onward

·
Registered
267 Posts
The other one prob. got ground up. It happend to me about a year ago, I think I knocked it out of the housing when I installed my longfields. I was in JV at the time, so I went wheeling right after they were installed. When I got home and serviced the truck, I found LITTLE slivers of that part stuck to my drain plug!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
i've got a bad inner oil seal as well, the knuckle grease gets in with the gear oil and is just nasty. i should replace it, but just dont want to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts