Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a SAS on my 95 hardbody PU. Keeping the 233b and puting a grand wag 44 up front. My 233b has 4.375 gears in it right now. The clocest thing I could find for the 44 was 4.273. A difference of .102, is this to much? Another option im considering is to get a 4.625 third for the back and use 4.55 gears in the 44, giving me a difference of .080. What do you all think?

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are a few people that I know of with the 4.625 in the rear and 4.56 in the front and it works just fine, just don't drive around on the road in 4wd. I would go with the 4.625's in the rear just to have the lower gears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well thats exactly what Im doin. Plus I got rid of the posi in the rear by switchin carriers. Just make sure you get the automatic gears from another hardbody, that'll give you the higher gear ratio.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was kinda wanting to keep my 4.375s Im only gona run 35s on it. I had 4.375s in a yota with 35s and a tired ass motor and it pulled em just fine. The motor in the nissan is alot stronger. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You really should go with 4.625's if you are going with 35's, I have 4.375's gears with 35's on my Hardbody and the low end is horrible, it is pretty much worthless off-road, but it is my daily driver so I have left it. I did an axle swap for a friend with a 94 Pathy that had 4.375 that we swapped out for 4.625's and running 35's it fesls so much better than my truck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4.273-4.375=2.387%
4.55-4.625=1.730%

Thanks for the info. Guess im off to get a 4.625 third member.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, kinda fortunate that the difference forces you to get deeper gears, you'll appreciate 'em. If you're REAL lucky you might rustle up one of the 4.88 thirds that made it into production in some Hardbody trucks, but they're quite rare.

·
Registered
689 Posts
4lo said:
4.273-4.375=2.387%
4.55-4.625=1.730%

Thanks for the info. Guess im off to get a 4.625 third member.

Ive got a 4.625 third, but its from a 88 LSD/Disc rearend. Im not sure it would interchange with your 95 or not.

Ben

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
fivetenben said:
Ive got a 4.625 third, but its from a 88 LSD/Disc rearend. Im not sure it would interchange with your 95 or not.

Ben
I'm pretty sure they do, except the 95 has two extra studs, so you just remove them.

I have both of those outside taken apart, its raining now so I'll check tomorrow

Edit: I was wrong, they dont. The bolts that hold the 88 3rd are much smaller than the studs. Also I'm not sure if the mating surface to center distance is the same.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The older 3rds attached to the housing with bolts, the new ones have studs (with 2 extra like stated above), it will fit though. If you use one from a disc brake rear, you will have to open up your drum brake diff and take out the thrust block and put it into the disc brake one.

You will probably want to find an open diff if you can though, that way you can run a lock-rite.

·
Registered
171 Posts
XterraGuy said:
Other way around, the drum one gets the thrust block, disc does not.
Thats what I was saying, he will have to take the thrust block out of the old drum brake carrier and put it into the new disc brake carrier before putting it in his truck

·
Under Powered
905 Posts
1995? Find you a 2WD Xterra 3rd with 4.90s, it will have the ABS sensor on the pinion snout and you can match it to 4.88s for the D44. The only catch is you have to swap the carrier from the HB 3rd to the X 3rd so that the spline-counts match. Going to 35s will not dog it nearly as much by moving up in ratio a bit more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts