Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
<nelson voice> HA HA <nelson voice off>

Someone didnt do their research on the 8.8 or they would have heard all the horror stories about the rosette welds not being strong enough and the housing rotating on the tubes.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
how the nice way that t in the brake lines is just dangling there waiting for a nice stick or rock to rip it off

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
kwrangln said:
<nelson voice> HA HA <nelson voice off>

Someone didnt do their research on the 8.8 or they would have heard all the horror stories about the rosette welds not being strong enough and the housing rotating on the tubes.

:flipoff2:

ding ding ding

did the research and always worried about it, never believed, but it did give up on me. dumb cocky bastid (me)

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
gripguru said:

ding ding ding

did the research and always worried about it, but it did give up on me.
If you just needa re-weld it come over! I`m sure the new welder can handle it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
next photo shows the driver side stayed put due to the antiwrap bar but the pumpkin and the pass side spun backwards and pointed the pinion up at the gas tank.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jeepNicK said:
how the nice way that t in the brake lines is just dangling there waiting for a nice stick or rock to rip it off
its not dangling and its not the problem, but thanks for your input:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Todd W said:

If you just needa re-weld it come over! I`m sure the new welder can handle it.

nope, you were right. it is bent. I have to take it to Lincoln welding in downtown sacto to have it lined back up and then weld the bejesus out of it (once it is straight again)

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
gripguru said:

nope, you were right. it is bent. I have to take it to Lincoln welding in downtown sacto to have it lined back up and then weld the bejesus out of it (once it is straight again)
That sucks man... did you talk to Gearman or welderboy maybe either of em can do it for ya :confused:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dont worry, i am getting taken care of;)

To complete the story, this happened during a full throttle attempt at financial hill (the far right line) I could feel something give and thought it was a front axle shaft. Nope, all four still spun just fine. There was a nasty thump coming from the rear when I would engage the clutch, but never guessed it was the tube. All of the way out from the con, and in the loon lake campground, doing the vehicle inspection THAT WE ALL DO EVERY TIME, i noticed the rosette welds were missing. Then I knew exactly what had happened. I drove home with my buddy following, all the way to Rocklin in 4WD, cause the axle wrap was so bad. Not safe, but I had no choice. When I got home the tube was loose and the rear tires are pointing towards each other at the top. :(

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm sold, welding my 8.8 next week.

Should I just have a bead put around the tube where it meets the centersection?

·
Registered
99 Posts
That happened to a friend in Moab and it had stitch welds around the tubing. It went far enough to break the yoke on the DS. He had to pull the rear ds and drive back to camp. He grabbed the brakes really hard a few times and luckily the tube rotated back into place. Back at camp he refilled the rosette weld and welded all the way around the tube. I haven't heard of any ill effects.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
This happened to me at Disney on the Oh-chi-man trail. I think thats how they say it. But anyway, all i did was do some high throttle clutch dumps and she spun back down. I limped back to camp and we welded the tubes 360 degrees all the way around as well as refilling the rosette welds.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gary E said:
That happened to a friend in Moab and it had stitch welds around the tubing. It went far enough to break the yoke on the DS. He had to pull the rear ds and drive back to camp. He grabbed the brakes really hard a few times and luckily the tube rotated back into place. Back at camp he refilled the rosette weld and welded all the way around the tube. I haven't heard of any ill effects.
Yeah, I broke the dshaft once before from just axle wrap, and if I did not have the 1350 dshaft, I am sure it would have happened here too. It felt like a meat grinder all the way home. The ears on the dshaft yoke were grinding on the pinion yoke. It was bent when I found it, so I did not want to weld it back together that way. That is why no repair was made before driving home.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Outshined said:
I'm sold, welding my 8.8 next week.

Should I just have a bead put around the tube where it meets the centersection?

This is exactly why I am posting this info. So at least one wheeler learns from my hard mistake. The info that I got about welding it is to preheat the metal, the housing in particular, and use a stainless stick weld to get the best holding weld. 275stainless, I believe. If I am wrong, I will remove that lead.
But I am going to weld the whole way around where the tubes go into the housing.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Umm, aren't those rivets and not rosette welds. That was the problem with Crash's in Moab. He popped the rivets out, there wasn't any welding on the housing.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts