Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Makes sense. I mostly ride locals trails which are hard pack and loose over hard, so those would likely work reasonably well for me. Mine work ok, but it doesn't take much to find their weekness. That said, if I were to get summer tires now and install, I'd be swapping out to winter tires soon. Probably better off looking for some better winter tires for now

·
Registered
58 Posts
'15 Norco Range.

Have since went 1x with the 11-40 praxis cassette and got a dropper post.
Future plans include going tubeless and upgrading the shock. It's a fun ride for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just picked up a 2005 Trek 6500 SLR, 1 owner, super clean with a few ugrades for $200:

Avid disc brakes, specialized body geometry seat, All Bontrager sport components with WTB dual duty wheel set and Manitou Axel 80mm front shock

I've been out twice before it got bitter cold. We have a pretty killer bike park in the making here www.griffinbikepark.com

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Don't remember is I posted pics after I started building this thing. First bike in 20 years, it's a '98 GT Richochet. I have done a front disc conversion, a Suntour 100mm lock out fork, 29" front, different bars and riser, ect. It rides like a caddy, it's a strange riding position but I really like it. Was at the lbs looking at a Salsa El Mariachi today. Damn I like that new one!!

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Too lazy to photobucket pics right now. But my current stable has a couple CO born and raised bikes

Aluboo Booyah fatbike
Spot Brand Rocker belt drive SS
Spot Brand Mod Disc CX w/ SRAM 10 speed junk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, been lurkin on pirate for years and never noticed the mtb section :homer:

This is my new enduro/trail/grocery getting/do-it-all bike

Ragley Big Wig, 29", RS Pike RTC3, shimano Zee everything, and for the first time I got myself a dropper post, man it's pure luxury :D

Lots of cool bikes here :grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I like to free ride up at the bike parks in CO.

2004 Kona Stinky Deelux with some updated parts.

My everything else bike is a 2013 Trek Fuel EX9

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
GT Force X Expert. 1x10, 27.5's, dropper post, Fox suspension, quality components from Shimano & RaceFace. My 1st brand new mtb EVER! All my previous mtb's were traded/bartered for and then upgraded. This bike was a 2015 closeout so I got it nearly 1/2 off. I love it!

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Can't remember if I posted here or not... Went through a divorce, didn't give a shit about riding for a bit too long :( Getting back into it, still have all my "old" gear; 26" stuff. Was thinking about getting a tattoo 26 4 life :laughing: (kidding!!) I'm going to "use up" what's left of these before investing in new trendy gear, also have ALOT to prove to myself- that I'm back in for the long haul.

trail bike (tires are flat from goat heads/actually riding it :flipoff2:)

neighborhood cruiser (It was a new model/all original components; 1998!)

Also have an Ironhorse SGS Pro DH bike and Soul Cycles Titan dirt jumper (currently cannibalizing for parts), that I probably don't have good enough health insurance coverage to ride anymore :D

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I've always liked those Marin's. At one point many years back I wanted to buy their all mountain version of that design, but I couldn't make it happen.
That one was actually just a frame set/rear shock. Except for the fork and the wheelset, it is all the "leftovers" :D from my old Rocky Mountain Element, put it together in my garage with the help of a buddy. I remember they did have some bigger travel all mountain/ maybe even a free-ridish travel length suspension of that design as well. It was a neat design and their current offerings look much more conventional.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
I like to free ride up at the bike parks in CO.

2004 Kona Stinky Deelux with some updated parts.

I'll probably end up breaking down and buying a pure downhill pig sometime in the near future. There's a pretty sick rig on CL right now for $600. If I didn't need some other stuff right now worse (new snowblower, new seats for the Jeep, etc.) I'd be all over it.

For now, the Breezer Repack has to do it all for me. It's not bad at all downhill with 6" of travel, but while it's a very stout-built trail bike, it's not built for pure downhill abuse. Hope I don't bust the hell out of it in the meantime.

241 - 260 of 333 Posts