Pirate 4x4 banner

301 - 320 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am looking to pick up a SC Bronson in the next few weeks unless something else comes up. It will be my first bike in a long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rode Santa Cruz for years. Original Heckler that I still have, Superlight, Blur, Blur 4X, three (3) Nomads, Two (2) V10s. For last five years been riding a Pivot Firebird with Hammerschmidt that I rode today for two hours on South Mountain here in Phx. Got a brand new white one hanging in the garage waiting for my old black one to wear out.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Rode Santa Cruz for years. Original Heckler that I still have, Superlight, Blur, Blur 4X, three (3) Nomads, Two (2) V10s. For last five years been riding a Pivot Firebird with Hammerschmidt that I rode today for two hours on South Mountain here in Phx. Got a brand new white one hanging in the garage waiting for my old black one to wear out.
Does South Mountain have some decent MTB trails? I'm moving down that way in the next month roughly. Anywhere to ride a DH bike (shuttle) nearby? I rode Sunrise way back in '01- not sure if they still have summer lift season/bike trails?

I've been geeking out logging some miles on this recently but am looking forward to getting back on a MTB:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does South Mountain have some decent MTB trails? I'm moving down that way in the next month roughly. Anywhere to ride a DH bike (shuttle) nearby? I rode Sunrise way back in '01- not sure if they still have summer lift season/bike trails?

I've been geeking out logging some miles on this recently but am looking forward to getting back on a MTB:
Great riding on S. Mtn. The downhill runs are very rocky. Broke off two (2) deraileurs in the last three weeks. You can bring a DH bike but I never ride mine except where there's a lift (Sunrise or racing in NM or CO.). You can shuttle but I never do. The Firebird (7 in.) is plenty of bike for SoMo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sold my Downhill/Freeride bike, Fixie, and XC rig all to fund my four wheeling rig. Only have a BMX now...and im 40. Want to get a 6" travel rig though!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'll play. I have a Rocky Mountain Instinct C50 as my do-all trail bike. First full suspension bike I've had and I absolutely love it. I've won local XC races on it and traveled out west to smash black diamond downhills on it. 140mm travel f/r. 140lb rider. It's a shred machine.

I also built a SS Surly Wednesday for my winter beater. 4.3 Ednas. eTen dropper. Rogue Panda roll top frame bag. I've really been diggin' cruising the streets on this thing. I'll take it out and rip a local XC trail with it occasionally, but it's primary use is for brew cruising, bike packing, and urban bike path rides. Still waiting for the snow to see how it floats.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have problems with the forks yet? Every person I know with a Ohlins fork had issues.
Zero issues. It's the best fork I've ever run. Smooth through the stroke, great small bump compliance, and takes big hits for days. Like it better than any rockshox or fox fork I've had. There was a recall because of an issue with 5 out of 17,000 forks produced that was solved with loctite and an extra turn of a wrench. Because of the recall, Ohlins gave all owners a free upgrade to the '19 internals, which has made it perform even better, and with the improved seals, it should stay that way between servicing.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Have problems with the forks yet? Every person I know with a Ohlins fork had issues.

I've been looking hard at the Capra to replace my well worn Slash. My friend has one and REALLY likes it.
Go Jeffsy if you earn your turns and are set on a YT. I'm on an '18 Jeffsy 29 and it's a great all around bike.

Buddy of mine talked to some factory YT guys he saw on a trail ride and they were on jeffsy 29's, said the capra is way overkill unless you're on a chairlift often.

301 - 320 of 333 Posts