Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start my buildup and need to know what springs to use. I have TJ flares on and am using 4" trailmaster springs Should I go lower with springs or just use these on SOA. I'm using FW corp 14, d44 combo and want to keep a good SoG and be able to have good flex...whats tried and true boys. Also waggy springs are a good answer.......any ideas guys?
Ya the newbie searched but didn't find a solid enough answer.:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I`m gonna be running same thing but a 60 up front.. and the spring I chose was the RE SOA springs 1.5" Lift. + 1" BL and a very small if any shackle lift, then a lot of trimming!!

:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ran that same setup for a while. I used 4 inch Pro-Comp in the front and 3 1/2 BDS in the rear. I'm still using the same setup with a 60 in the front and a 14 bolt in the rear. Also I'm running 42 TSL's. The Pro-Comp springs are left over from whan I first got into Jeeping. They're old enough now that they flex really well. Don't forget about some kind of traction aid to prevent axle wrap. No springs will stand up to that very long. Hope it all works well for you.:)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
just happened to get a good deal on some 2.5" superlifts.

The rears worked out ok...the front pack I added a couple of leaves because it flattened right out and I ddint like the way it sat.

Yeah this is a CJ, but you'll probably get similar results with YJ packs. Those are 38's, and TJ flares. Front axle moved forward a couple inches.

They flex "OK" , as in I am able to stuff into the fenders, and droop is limited by my shackle angles, but more suspension travel could be obtained with longer packs etc....

Waggy leafs of some sort are the trend nowadays.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Well, I'm running 42's, and a one inch body lift, and obviously, a lot of trimming, but there are quite a few that are running JC Whitney's 7leaf CJ7 rear (HD) springs. (High5 off the top of my head is running those springs, and a three inch body lift, and alot of trimming)

Anyway, they're like 65 bucks a piece, and flex extremely well!

Here's a pic of mine. Obviously, not quite on the trail yet, but you get an idea of the trimming that I did.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
JC Whitney's. CJ7 7 leaf hd

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
THis topic has been beat to death,

Do a search..

CJ7 Jc whitney or Modified YJ packs

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
WheelingPiazza said:
THis topic has been beat to death,

Do a search..

CJ7 Jc whitney or Modified YJ packs
Oh come on Steve:rolleyes: It's fun answering the same fawking questions over and over again:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I like 94YJGUY's setup, but some JCW 7 leaf front Waggy springs all around would give you the option of a small wheelbase stretch.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
IndyCJ said:
Well, I'm running 42's, and a one inch body lift, and obviously, a lot of trimming, but there are quite a few that are running JC Whitney's 7leaf CJ7 rear (HD) springs. (High5 off the top of my head is running those springs, and a three inch body lift, and alot of trimming)

Anyway, they're like 65 bucks a piece, and flex extremely well!

Here's a pic of mine. Obviously, not quite on the trail yet, but you get an idea of the trimming that I did.
Indy - Did you extend the front frame rails for your shackle reversal?

I ran the JCW 7 leaf CJ7 rear springs in the front and toasted them in no time... I am SOA on 36s. I currently have a set of stock waggy springs in the back now and the rear sits up a litte higher then the front currently. I've got to get the front leveled out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, thanx for the help but if i were to run waggy springs,
what do i have to do?
where should i get them?
what amount of lift springs should i get?

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
drasko said:
OK, thanx for the help but if i were to run waggy springs,
what do i have to do?
where should i get them?
what amount of lift springs should i get?
1) You have to take off your old mounts and fab up a dual trianglated 4 link or wish bone to control the ungodly suspension characteristics these springs will bring with the. They are great for impact dampening but twist like twizzlers when encountering side loads.

2) Get them from the most expensive vendor. You always get what you pay for when dealing with springs and the more you pay the more silicone calcium phosphate they will have worked into the spring steel. This means much better longevity of the spring.

3) I would get the 6-8" lift springs because you'll have plenty of room for big meats and with the increased SCP addition in the spring steel they will flex awesome. Also your axles are HUGE so no worries about being top heavy, they'll keep you planted. Also taller is always better, I mean just look at any 4x4 Jamboree and you'll see that.

Hope this helps :)

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
rkcrawl said:

Indy - Did you extend the front frame rails for your shackle reversal?

Uh, no. As a matter of fact I didn't. :D I beefed them up seriously, but they're pretty much in the stock location (although maybe moved forward overall an inch?)

A stock CJ6/8 wheelbase is 103.(something), but my wheelbase is 108 (something). I think between moving it forward a tad, and then moving the rear shackle mount on the back all the way to the back of the crossmember, I got my extra 5 inches.

Bigdude, that's some funny shiat! :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do those 38s still clear with that 3" body lift taken off?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
IndyCJ said:

Tell me more :confused:
The JCW rear HD 7 leaf springs I got didn't like the front of my rig. Maybe its the 5.43 gears and the 4.3L/SM465, but they seemed to wrap pretty good (I've got the bind marks on the ujoint ubolts to prove it) so they flattened out pretty bad and seemed to lean. This was after exactly 3 runs on them: 1 very short one on Bigdude's rock pile and 2 ERoCC comps.

Right now I have a set of Rear YJ springs with an extra full length leaf in the front, but I don't think its enough. I have maybe an 1" to 1.5" to the bumpstop :mad: My front end is definitely sitting low compared to the rear (its close but I have tools from last Sat's run in the back) its way more noticeable when the rear is in comp form.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts