Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been useing arbs front and rear. Thinking of moving to a spool
in the rear. My buggy was originally built for crawling and I almost never
open the rear. Going to the mega gears in my high 9 so I was thinking
of going with the spool for reliability but never really had a problem with
the arb.....yet.
Any reason not to use a spool in the rear, arb front?
Thanks,
Karl.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I'd rather run the other way around. ARB rear spool front, but I always run with the rear ARB open and only lock it in when I need.

The rig steers better, keeps lines better etc, but this is in combination with cutting brakes, and I enjoy technical wheeling. I also prefer it for going fast and racing...

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I wouldn't want to trust a 9" ARB. The rig I'm building will be the first time in 8 yrs I haven't had ARB's front/rear. 60 front (ARB), 9" rear (grizzley). I run 4wd, open in the dirt.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Im with pook also. I know a few ultra 4 racers and most of them will tell you they hardly ever unlock the front. I know one for sure that took his ARB out of the front and spooled it because of this.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
What type of racing? I wouldn't want a spool in the front of an ultra 4 car.
this is probably the most common setup in ultra 4 rigs including past winners and top contenders.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far the racing is at Rausch Creek. I usually open the front for going thru the woods, very tight, I found it easier to steer around them.......well most of them.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
So far the racing is at Rausch Creek. I usually open the front for going thru the woods, very tight, I found it easier to steer around them.......well most of them.
Did you ever try it with the rear open?

My next rig is likely gonna be locked front/selectable rear...having two tires always trying to push you in a straight line vs. two tires pulling you around stuff makes a big difference.

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
I know a lot of people run a spool. I like ARB's. You would be floored how many people that run arb's run them open most of the time. If you run locked it is much harder on your parts. Sure, there are times you need a locker. But if you have to skinny pedal it over something it is nice to stay open (if you can). Everyone has their own style. I had another racer take my car out the night before a race this year. He had been to that location before and I hadn't. I just sat back and ran the arb's off of his command. It floored me how little he ran the ARB's and how little they were needed. I'd love to have the ring gears back that I roached by running locked everywhere in the past.

The reason people run a spool is the fact that they have a lot less of a chance for failure. Myself. Because I do not just race, I drive my junk on my property, jump hills around where I live, rec wheel, running locked all the time isn't a good idea for me. Others, who play in the sand 95% of the time. I can see why they run a spool. It's all a taste thing... Some like it one way, some like it another. I try and save on parts.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,800 Posts
My experience with locked front ends is that they can get darty at speed, though i have never run full hydro. For desert use I always prefer the handling of a rear locked, front open. Learn something everyday.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
I'm spooled both front and rear. I'd love to go selectable rear in the future though. Tree dodging sucks with spools.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
What type of racing? I wouldn't want a spool in the front of an ultra 4 car.
I'm spooled front and rear. No plans to change it. Reliability and simpicity in a U4 car is a huge benefit. I'de rather have endurance than be a second faster though a cone course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts