Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a new 16' or so trailer. 4x2, 3/16" wall box tube frame. 2.5" 3/16 angle cross-members every 16" and every 4' there are 2 doubled back to back (more to allow the possiblity of a plywood deck). Tongue is same 4x2, 3/16" tube extending back to the spring mounts. Using 5k - 6k axles w/ brakes.

I plan to typically haul 5k - 6k with it. But, will it still be OK if I ever want to haul 10k down the highway on it? Should I really go to 5x2 or larger box, or maybe 4x3? More / different crossmembers?

--Dan

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
typically the axles determine the load rating and the trailer frame is built to at least that capacity. of course this does not apply to some backyard hack job trailer

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Not sure I would want to put 5,000 lbs on the trailer you describe, plywood? angle iron?

It seems like my 10K trailer had 6x2 box frame with 3x2 channel cross members every 24". Bent the deck hauling a small forklift...

Current 13K trailer has 8 or 10 inch I beam with 4x3 channel every 16 inches. I might just call my buddy with the forklift up for a rematch!

Both decks are 2x6, the 10K was pine, the 13K trailer appears to be oak (bought it used).

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Pavemen said:
typically the axles determine the load rating and the trailer frame is built to at least that capacity. of course this does not apply to some backyard hack job trailer
Dan's won't be a hack job, I would bet money on that.

My 14k trailer has 10" Channel, (double channel from axles to tongue) with 3" Channel cross members, about every 3' and 2x12 deck... It doesn't flex, but its a tad heavy.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Since you mentioned my trailer... I have hauled way more than my trailer was designed for on several occaisions and there were no problems at all with the frame. A lot depends on what the load is and where it is putting the load onto the trailer. A truck puts weight on the trailer in 4 spots,spread out, and close to the frame rails. A forkilft or a bobcat puts all the weight in a concentrated spot. A load of dirt puts all the weight spread out all over the deck.

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
ramv said:

My 14k trailer has 10" Channel, (double channel from axles to tongue) with 3" Channel cross members, about every 3' and 2x12 deck... It doesn't flex, but its a tad heavy.
wasn't implying that it was a hack job, just that the axles determine the capacity unless it is a hack job.

I am a bit confused about the plywood comment he made. i'd hope that the deck is 2x something and not plywood.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
85 Chevota said:
Since you mentioned my trailer... I have hauled way more than my trailer was designed for on several occaisions and there were no problems at all with the frame. A lot depends on what the load is and where it is putting the load onto the trailer. A truck puts weight on the trailer in 4 spots,spread out, and close to the frame rails. A forkilft or a bobcat puts all the weight in a concentrated spot. A load of dirt puts all the weight spread out all over the deck.
An example of this is look at a load of steel on a 40 foot to 53 foot flat bed trailer. If they are hauling some real heavy pieces there will be one part of the load right over the drive axles of the tractor and the other part over the trailer axles. You could get your weight spread out the same % truck to trailer axles with the load in the middle of the trailer, but the stresses you're putting on the trailer frame would go way up. So in this case you split your load and place it in the strongest points on the trailer the contact points between the load and the ground.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pavemen said:
I am a bit confused about the plywood comment he made. i'd hope that the deck is 2x something and not plywood.
The deck will be 2x, (though I don't really see what would be wrong with a couple layers of 3/4" - 1" ply either). The comment was about the doubled up cross-members every 4 feet. In addition to strength, it also allows the *possibility* of a plywood deck fairly easily.

--Dan

·
Registered
478 Posts
ramv said:

Nice trailer. Got anymore info/pictures? Length, axles, price?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
houlster said:
That's good to hear. The tube/crossmembers are based very much on what you did for yours.

--Dan
Cool. It works well and you don't have to worry about warping the frame from the welding stresses because the majority of the shrinkage occurs centered on the 4" face of the tubing. It also allows 1.5" for the deck boards so the deck sits flush with the top of the frame.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Sorry for the Hijack Dan...

fastrexxx said:
Nice trailer. Got anymore info/pictures? Length, axles, price?
It is a Target Trailer, 34' in deck length, two 7k axles, rubber mounted lights, with extra turn/stop signals mounted at the fenders. It weighs about 3500 lb. Tows really nice, with two heavy rigs (probably about 15 000 loaded, 13 500 on the axles, 1500 TW) its nice to have a dually, which with it, it doesn't sway or move at all. With the single rig, it tows great, better then the short trailer, behind the Avalanche. (The short trailer is 18' 10k rating, and the Dodge is too big for it)

I paid about $5k delivered for it in 2004, but I think Target is out of business now. Indian Valley was my other choice, but they quoted a longer lead time and a similar price, with a heavier trailer. I didn't want ot get any heavier for legallity, and ease of towing with a LD vehicle. Triple axles attract a lot of attention.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
For reference.

Main frame rails are 2x8x.120 I beam, with 1/4" bar welded to the bottom where the axles are mounted.

Center and outside frame rails are 2x7x.120.

7" wide .120 plate cross members ever 18" or so.

frame didn't budge dropping these rocks, gently of course, on the deck of the trailer. the big one on the back alone weighed enough to take nearly 2,000lbs of tongue weight off the front. Estimated load somewhere between 11,000 and 13,000lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Travis Waldher said:
I'm not sure, haven't actually weighed it empty. Registration says around 1,450, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Mine weighs 1650-1700 depending on which scale i'm on. I'd guess yours would have to weigh quite a bit more than mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts