Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the cool new axle shafts available for Toyota 8" axles, the weakest link is kinda the ring and pinion. How hard would it be to make a ring and pinion out a stronger material? What material would be best suited for it? What are they made of? I'm not saying that I'd go into production, but I've got resources to possibly do something like this myself.

This is aimed a bit more at the Toyota aspect, but I think it's kind of useful information...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Stimpy, you EEEDDDEOOT!

Everyone knows that R&P's are made of severe delirious trebeenourshhhasssss...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Seems like most/alot of the aftermarket gearsets are SAE8620.

I've worked in many different machine shops over the years, most with some pretty nice CNC equipement....EDM's,grinders,turning centers, machining centers, etc.......and if you have the resources to crank out R&P's you have access to some very nice equipement, the kind of equipement that doesn't exist in 90% of the shops out there.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would a better material be for gearsets? Looking at the chart, maybe an 87xx or 88xx metal?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would 9210 work for a rig? Do those gearsets normally last only for short periods of time?

·
Registered
203 Posts
It is 9310 material and it does not last a long time. So street use with that material is out of the question. I don't think any other material is partical for ring and pinions other than 8620.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a heat treating process that might prolong the life of, say, an 8" gearset?

·
Registered
543 Posts
They are all heat treated. I think they are case hardened and then ground. We are looking at 80 to 90 years of refinement in RP technology so I don't think there are any really new break throughs latley.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
8620 is a good steel, but there are som serious issues with the quench process.

8620 is a water quench steel, and it is a booger to temper correctly, especially in a small job shop setting. I used to carburize a lot of 8620 parts, and when the temper came out right, it seemed the case depth was always too deep, etc. Just s general PITA.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Probably a stupid question, but with all the other mechanical parts that are being upgraded to 300M lately, why would it not work for an R&P?

·
Registered
574 Posts
braxton357 said:
Isn't there an issue with the harder metals not breaking in correctly?
nope, they just break, period. Gearsets are cased to resist wear, but the "core" is left soft to absorb "impacts" without shatering. The case on 8620 gears would be in the vicinity of 58-60Rc which is already VERY hard. So, it is not just a matter of being hard, but a balance of hard surface, elastic "core" to absorb shock, and cost.
Often wondered how a Tool steel would fare in a R&P. Something along the line of forging die steel, maybe Vega?

·
Registered
905 Posts
The "soft" R&Ps made for dragracing are not what you want for wheeling.
I agree with this in part... The soft R&Ps made for drag racing would not last long in a 4 wheel drive... But for the same reason that they are used in dragsters, they would be beneficial in a compettition only rock crawler if the vehicle had R&P problems. The drawback to these gears is that they must be inspected / replaced frequently, so they would only benefit a compettition rig.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
CWToyota said:

I agree with this in part... The soft R&Ps made for drag racing would not last long in a 4 wheel drive... But for the same reason that they are used in dragsters, they would be beneficial in a compettition only rock crawler if the vehicle had R&P problems. The drawback to these gears is that they must be inspected / replaced frequently, so they would only benefit a compettition rig.
Sounds almost like the "soft" longfield/profield CV joints. Maybe just get the the stock cw&p heat treated like the longfields and trade off a bit of wear resistance for a bit more impact strength. Cause if you are breaking crownwheels every second trip you arnt exactly going to wear them out.

Sam

·
Registered
777 Posts
i just wish someone would come up with a kick ass R&P cuz im tired of breaking the damn things :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Toyotafourwheeln said:
i just wish someone would come up with a kick ass R&P cuz im tired of breaking the damn things :flipoff2:
They have...but a 10.5" ring gear might not fit in your little housing:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts