Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a front three link on my 93 ranger with a wagoneer dana 44. I am having a hard time finding what materials people used for the upper link and the panhard bar.

On the upper link I have two materials available to use. I could use 1.5" x .25 chro moly tubing with 3/4" hiems. Or I have some 1.75" x .120 HREW tubing I could use with 1.25" Johnny joints. The 1.5" tube with the smaller hiems will be easier to package.

If I use the 1.75 tube on the upper link I could use the same piece of chro moly as my panhard bar with the 3/4" hiems. I could buy some material but I am trying to use what I have laying around.

The lowers with be 2" x .25 dom or 2" x .25 square tube with a johnny joint on the frame and a bushing at the axle. I haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
the 3/4" heim will be fine for the panhard. 1-1/2 dom or chromo. for the upper link, you should use the johnny joint or 1-1/4" heim with 1-3/4" hrew or dom. that upper link gets a lot of pulling force under hard braking conditions, and a 3/4" heim is kinda small for it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I use 1.5x.250 DOM for all my steering parts (including panhard), and 2x.250 for upper link. Like said above, that upper link will experience a lot of stress. Make sure your inserts have good deep welds on them as well!! Remember, your suspension is only as good as your weakest link!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
i run a metric size tube its ruffly 1 7/16'' X .188 thick. if i didn't get a shit load of this for free i would of ran 1.5''X.120 wall uppers. alot peaple run this and i had friends that dont have any problems with .120 wall tube uppers.
the uppers see alot of force but theres no rocks or whatever smashing into them like lowers, so a thinner tube will be fine. search here theres plenty of peaple runing them, jason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts