Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
That truck is awesome. I dd a cclb 97, I really can't fathom wheelin it like that. I'm sure it will climb some steep shit though :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
i like it and its a steal for the price. take the wrecker deck in for scrap steel and use that money to buy a SRW diff and some superduty front leaf springs and a shackle reversal for the front. pull some rear leafs out and slide the diff forward on the frame and cut the back off. cut fenders and run 42 and beat the piss out of it. that was pretty much my plan but i went and did a 3 link front. im running 44s on 4.10s and a bbf and it moves around pretty good. do some looking around here as few builds like what you are talking about doing, check mine out in my signature as well

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Even with the D60 hubs swapped to SRW, the front will still be 3-4" wider than the rear.

Almost no difference in width between C&C and SRW diffs on these Fords. (~65")

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I say wheel that bitch the way she sets... Wrecker bed and all! Charge people to pull them off the trail when they break. :laughing:

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
I say wheel that bitch the way she sets... Wrecker bed and all! Charge people to pull them off the trail when they break. :laughing:
One of my favorite builds here was that 70's wrecker, but I can't recall the name? Dude had a tow business and used it out on the Rubicon to haul busted rigs back iirc. Way cool. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I spent a little time with the truck today. Figured out how to engage the PTO and turns out all the hydrualics on the wrecker work perfect. That's actually a real bummer because I'm not the kind of person to scrap something that's in working order or even has potential to be. The front suspension on these trucks is terrible it needs something because it takes bumps like riding mower

I did get to do some dually burnouts in the gravel it spun both sides pretty consistently how cool would it be if it's got a limited slip deal

I could not get the transfer case out of 2wd though. The linkage is completely frozen I would guess it's never been in 4 wheel for a very long time. It does have the push down thing and I was pushing down but it wouldn't budge

Wheeling it as a tow truck might be pretty cool. It does have a hydrualic winch as a part of the wrecker which goes up quite high, it needs the line fixed but I'm sure it would have no problem putting flipped rigs right side up

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlG4u1bnX-J/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=5mzot7o8oh9m

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlG69EYH18Y/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=c6j6j1hieuyo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
I just parted a ‘97 250 with a 460/zf5. I put the cab on my ‘97. I have everything needed to manual swap in Socal if interested.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts