Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a front Dana 60 and am not sure where to start, I have done a number of searches and thought I would bring this up. What core should I start with, Dodge, Ford, Chevy? Kingpin, balljoint, or unibearing balljoint? I just want to know which is better and why. Any help will be appreciated.

Ryan

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
this is a very broad question you might want to give some more info on what your gonna put it under and so fourth (or not but be ware of flames)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More of in general, what factory parts are stronger or better. Take for instance use a ford HP in the front with Chevy kingpin knuckles is this a stong set up in general or should I go with the late model F450 balljoint unibearing?

Ryan

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I think Bills post will answer your questions.
To make the instal simple you need to get a 60 that starts out with the punkin on the side your t-case is unless you are going to buy an atlas.

·
Registered
970 Posts
you should go unibearing ford
its quick to change if you break something which is good for competing
and i think they have to be stronger than kingpin cause i havent heard of anyone beakin them and kingpin knuckles break all the time.
plus i havent heard of jason paule or tracey jordan breaking one and there runnin 40's with rear steer in some of the hardest terrain there is just my thoughts plus parts are readily available

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
rokdog03 said:
you should go unibearing ford
its quick to change if you break something which is good for competing
and i think they have to be stronger than kingpin cause i havent heard of anyone beakin them and kingpin knuckles break all the time.
plus i havent heard of jason paule or tracey jordan breaking one and there runnin 40's with rear steer in some of the hardest terrain there is just my thoughts plus parts are readily available
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
how big a tire are you running?

how big a motor?

you may not need a 60 if you are running a straight 6 and 35's

even 37's are right on the edge of needing a 60, and can be handled by a built 44 - warn shafts, ctms

Also if you plan on running 46 or larger tires skip 60's and go to the bigger stuff

give us your plan on what you want to build and why

how you drive( gentle, rough, Durham)

then what transfercase etc

punch all the info you can into the POR super computer and you'll get results

plus remember that this is the internet and you'll get multiple replies

like the guy rockdog 3
I would disagree with him because I think a kingpin would be stronger than a ball joint and I think the unibearing is not as good a design. Yes I have seen a broken kingpin 60 as well as a broken ball joint one. And though I don't know about rockdog 3 I know that I am not an engineer, and many other guys on here are not as well. But we do have opinions based on everything from the stars in the sky to real actually wheeling experiences.

then go call the axle guys at all the different axle builders and get their advice, but remember that they will be trying to sell you an axle. In fact you may save some money and get a better built axle by buying one if you can afford to.

info will help you figure out what you really need and what advice you'll get

and if you just want a 60 because you've read about 60's in the mags, and on the web, and heard other guys brag about what they got or want or whatever that is also fine.

you can get stuff you don't need just because you want bragging rights, but let us other guys who have no funds or built rigs live vicariously through you and just go use the damn thing.

A 60 at rest is an anchor at best.

-done.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
to summerize......what is on your rig now and how will you use your 60 ?

there is alot of options on how to build a 60 and the answer to your question is based on your needs.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
If you are going to build this axle yourself, I would try very hard to find a complete 60, from lockout to lockout. I've just finished mine except for the steering arms, and I have a ton of money in new parts, like outer knuckles, hubs, spindles, etc. That stuff adds up extremely fast.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, Billavista's tech article is awsome like it says.

I will be putting a D60 together whether I do it myself or I pay someone to do it. Its not for the cool factor, it's because it is becoming very aparent that a D44 does not cut it in a comp rig even with 35' tires(yes with Warn's and CTM's).

The point that rokdog brought up is a very important one if I plan on breaking axles. And I have seen numorous pics of broken kingpin knuckles.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
979 Posts
Don't forget the Rockstomper knuckles! They will be available soon- a month Scott? right? :D
With those you could even turn a plain jane junkyard rear 60 into a front. Go 35 spline stub axles too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts