Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a rear axlethat is 60" wide and has a centered pig. I would like it if it was pretty available as well, and fairly strong. What do you guys see that would be that wide?

Dima

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Ford 8.8 is like 59 inches, the one of the Exploder. Disc brakes, 31 spline, it is C-clipped, but it's pretty strong. I used to run one with 36s and it did fine.
d

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
clarification: mid to late 80s grand wagoneer rear D44s are 58.5" wide but that's close enough(I have one sitting under my YJ with the matching D44 front-60.5"). early 80s had a rear M20 which is also centered and has 1-piece shafts. 6-bolt lug pattern

- Ford 8.8s will be around 58-60"(common swap is a ford explorer rearend w/ disc brakes). 5 on 4.5 lug pattern. probably 2nd most available from this list.
- Early bronco 9" rearend(somewhere around there. might be exactly 60"). 5 on 5.5 lug pattern
- Toyota 8" rearends from 86-?94? are 58" and are as strong as or stronger than D44s(in my opinion). most available and cheapest axle. look in the for sale section for built 3rd members and axles.

do a search on the above axles and you'll probably find a lot more detail on what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
YJ_OVER_SJ said:
- Early bronco 9" rearend(somewhere around there. might be exactly 60"). 5 on 5.5 lug pattern

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Early F250's, from like the EB years, have 60's that are also 60" wide. These rears are super sweet and FF, but are coarse splined.

That said, I have cheap spares and discounted shipping. ;)

Bob

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Taco rear end is the best option for me so far. I really want it to be 6 lug and be fairly strong. I am nto too hot on 9" rears because of the low hanging pinion. My best bet so far is the Taco rear, or the IFS rear at 58"

Dima

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Late model FSJ Grand Waggoneer's are just under 60" wide and six lug.

Small Cherokee D44's are 60.25" and five lug. Redrilling the axle flanges and using Grand Waggy drums is an easy bolt-on conversion (as are swaps to stronger six lug axles).

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
The Taco rear can be had with either the factory electric locker (V6 8" style) diff or the beefier Tundra style diff too.

I really like mine. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If I had to do a medium duty rear axle again, I would have picked the toy IFS rear. a lot cheaper to build and good clearance. should be able to handle 35" tires pretty easily(not sure what you'll be using under your rig). just remember you need a flange to yoke adapter for it if you have 1310 yokes on your rear DS. I think highangle driveline had the adapters when I was looking.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
The Taco E-locker axle is the best all-in-one package, but if you're willing to wanded further afield, pick up a few of those cute little Isuzus :p and roll 'em over to see what's under 'em.

The Isuzu 12-bolt third member is pretty similar to the Toyota 8-inch, but bigger in every dimension - especially the later ones. You can find 'em on 58" wide early-90s axles and they got wider in later years, wider than 60" IIRC. Bonus is that they have thicker axles than a Dana 44 and come 6-lug, with stock disk brakes (and stock rear brakes means stock cable-actuated E-brakes, as well).

If you don't mind a smaller axle, many USA-assembled late-model Isuzus sport a Dana 44 -- also with disk brakes, cable e-brakes, and a 6-lug count. The Dana 44 nets you better locker and gearing availability, at some cost to overall strength.

The biggest indicator, IMHO, is how many nuts you need. :p If you're looking 5-bolt, then the Exploder axle is pretty simple (not a big fan of the C-clips, though)... if you're looking 6-bolt, then look under Jap trucks from the last decade or so... :cool2:

Randii

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a difference in 2wd axles vs 4 wd?

Dima

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Flatty said:
Is there a difference in 2wd axles vs 4 wd?

Dima
In Toyotas, yes there is. Smaller thirds and shafts on 2WD's. Same design though if that matters. ErikB has a ton of info on the Toyota axles on his site above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How about a eb nine, but use the new hp center section that uses real 9" gears. I have a rear end laying around cheap. Just get new 6-lug axles and convert to disks using chevy 1/2 ton calipers and rotors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts