Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here - I'm thinking of using a recovery vehicle to upright a fifth wheel in the CA desert, see photo below.

I'm estimating that it'll require about 4-6,000 lbs of pulling force at the upper set of springs. I have a 12,000 lb winch, have some recovery straps, snatch block, etc.

Problem is I have nothing to attach the winch to - I did buy some 1" tent stakes as a possible option, but I think my first attempt will be to use a rented recovery vehicle to pull it upright.

What would be a better choice - a full size 4x4 pickup, or a Jeep? Traction may be an issue on this fairly loose sandy soil, so I was thinking that some momentum may be my friend in this situation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated (BTW, I did call a towing company in the vicinity, they want to have nothing to do with it, so I'm on my own).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Flipping that thing back over will likely tear it apart. They are not that sturdy. You will need minimum of 2 large vehicles. 1 to flip it up and one on the other side to keep it from flopping when you do get it upright. the second one will also need to attach a strap to the bottom of the trailer so that the pulling rig just doesn't pull the trailer around on it's side.

My feelings is that you will tear the frame off of the house trying to flip it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Dig a hole under the passenger side tires. Attach winch to the spring hanger between the drivers side tires. Use winch to pull over.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
The upper framerail would be fine, but I think you'll have a trapezoid when it slams on the ground.

You'll need a winch on both sides at a minimum. The sleeper already looks destroyed anyway, are you hoping to save it and still use it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! To clarify a couple of things - the trailer is not and will not be used on roads, it is a place for us to boondock occasionally. So it does not need to be pretty or roadworthy, just structurally sound :).

I fully expect that the trailer may be beyond repair - but I would like to at least upright it to confirm. Even if we trash it, I'd like to remove some valuable items from inside before calling a wrecker.

Regarding the landing (assuming we can upright it), my plan is to stack about a dozen used tires where the frame would come down, to cushion the landing. May not be pretty, but it should help.

I definitely plan to dig a hole under the passenger side tires (thanks ky scrambled).

But I still am at a loss as to what to attach the winch to, that's why I was thinking of using a recovery vehicle (either to pull directly, or to attach the winch to).

This video is what gave me the idea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viS3X1B-kQI

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Tree strap between the spring hangers on the drivers side. Where the leaf spring attaches on the front and rear axles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tree strap between the spring hangers on the drivers side. Where the leaf spring attaches on the front and rear axles.
Right, that's where I plan to loop the tree saver and attach the snatch block to. But I have nothing to anchor the winch itself to - this is what I was thinking of using the recovery vehicle for(?)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Right, that's where I plan to loop the tree saver and attach the snatch block to. But I have nothing to anchor the winch itself to - this is what I was thinking of using the recovery vehicle for(?)
How are you getting the winch out there?

Why not just use a tow strap and pull it over?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Heavy truck 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton with a winch on a receiver mount it will pull over but like others said the landing will do the most damage

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
go to homodepot and rent a flat bed truck, load your concrete blocks into the back and then drag that bitch back onto it's wheels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
go to homodepot and rent a flat bed truck, load your concrete blocks into the back and then drag that bitch back onto it's wheels.
That has crossed my mind, given that it's probably the cheapest rental in town. Does the 2WD vs 4WD difference make a significant difference (the HD truck is 2WD)?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts