Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 runner that is stock. what should i do to it with about $1000 dollars to spend. this is my only wheels too so i can't do a sas swap unless i get some major help hear in denver.

·
Registered
136 Posts
you need a red star to search the forum to find out on what to do to your truck.

More then likely the Toy guys will tell you to aussie lock the rear and get some tires with some good tread and cut to fit your fender.

But thats just me...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have 30-9.50-15 bfg all terains on it now. I think i will go fiberglass on the fenders they are rotting away.

·
Registered
997 Posts
well hows ur motor, if you got no power now then spend your money on you motor, function before looks..:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
233,000 burns a quart of oil every 500 miles. 2 1/4 exaust from the manifold back and a electric fan conversion, cold air intake thats it but i live a mile above sea level too so it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
sell the damn truck and get something else, or spend the $1000 and rebuild the damn motor.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Another Toyota?

Get your engine taken care of first. There are some small things that can make a big difference. Have you checked the compression? Have you done a tune up? How about sending your injectors our to RC Engineering to get cleaned and getting the black gunk out of the intake plenum and throttle body while you wait?

I had 34x11.5 LTB's on my truck for a long time with stock gearing. There was nothing fast about it, but it would do the speed limit in most cases (those 75 mph North Dakota limits were a bitch though) and did great offroad. How about a pair of Aussie Lockers for $500 and some smaller tires? There are lots of routes to take, but spend your money on that engine first if that's where you have real problems now.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Wait till you have time/money for a SAS. I wouldn't waste money regearing a IFS
diff.

Check the for sale section I know there are a couple geared 3rds for sale right now. Do chevy's/rears for suspension and you'll be good to run 35-36's. Check the toy section FAQ for write ups on the suspension mods.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Well I vote you take the 1000 bux roll it up and smoke it...

What are you wanting to accomplish with your truck, sounds like the motor is in rough shape, check into that, do a compression check ect ect. Are you Planing on any thing in the future? Are you just wanting this to be a reliable DD, are you wanting to make it a capable trailrig/DD, is it going to become a weekend toy in the future? possibly start collecting parts for a SAS or duals or a motor swap...

If it where me I would figure out whats up with the motor, make sure it would keep me going THEN do a 2" Rb bodylift, a rear lockrite, and a set of used 33-35" tires for the stock rims.
Thats going to get you set up for future ups and get you on the trail now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i want a dd/ trail rig. i would like to start working on a sas swap. and i want to put a 5.0 ford mustang motor in it a nd run 35s but thats way down the road. I think I will buy a aussie diff and save the rest for the motor. thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what black gunk are you taking about. My intake is clean as of 5,000 miles ago when the head went bad. I put a used one on there. I guess i could do 33's but I think a aussie locker is going to be a better bang for the buck than tires. If any one from cali wants to come to colorado and drive around with 35's lets see it. my friends 4.0 liter ho can only get second gear rubber and he has just 31's. and thats a jasper motor that has no leaks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts