Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a cheap, small framed "throw away" handgun. Something that I could keep in my pickup (while not on company property :shaking: ) and not worry about the cost if stolen. Also, something to carry while out in the timber just as a side arm.

I currently have my S&W .40 but that's bigger than what I want. I'm thinking a 9mm or .357... what do ya got for me? I'm looking for something under $300

I had shot my Dads hammerless .357 with a 3" barrel when I was much younger and wasn't too impressed with it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Imo, if I was going to spend $300 or less, I would get a wheel gun. What I would look for is a Dan Wesson .357 magnum. Model 14 is fixed sights, while a model 15 has adjustable sights. Look for one with a 2" or a 4" barrel. They are not as common as other brands, but are not that hard to find. And imo they are just as much gun as a Ruger or a S&W. For some reason most of the Rugers and S&W at pawn shops around here are used and abused. If not, they are high dollar. I have seen quite a few of Dan Wessons around here going for $240-$300. If you do go with a Dan Wesson, you need to learn how to check out a revolver. Or get somebody to go with you that can, because they can have timing problems if they have been beat on. And make sure they come with a barrel wrench, because they have removable barrels. Also the ones made in Monson Mass are suppose to be higher quality.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If your lookin for cheap, high point, Bersa, FEG, etc all fit the bill.. but you should be able to find a nice Makarov in that range, and personally I've had good service out of my Makarov. pick up a "Shotgun News" always some discounted surplus pistols in the ad's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
when leaving a gun in a vehicle...you shouldnt just worry about the cost of the gun if stolen...but who just stole your gun...you wouldnt want some jackass criminal to get their grimy little hands on it and use it to shoot someone when they rob them would you?

i dont know what the crime rate in Iowa is...but down here i wont leave guns in my truck unattended...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Maybe a Keltec P11
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_150/products_id/25990

Trade in Glocks can be had for between $300 and $400. Not less than 300 bucks, but perhaps worth the extra money. The 40s sell for less than the 9mms.

Bersas are good for the money.

EDIT: CZ82 are great little pistols. Not really a "9mm", but 9x18 ammo isn't too expensive or hard to come by.
Out of stock, but you should be able to find one somewhere.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3CZ82&groupid=3
________
Roll A Joint

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
For what amounts to a throwdown look for a PA63 and get a wolf spring kit in it. Accurate little things.

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
KelTec

Under $300 MSRP. Made in USA. Smallest, lightest, flattest easiest to carry as a bonus. Feed problems per the web until after at least 100 rounds down the tube. So, you get to practice !!

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
I just picked up a P3AT yesterday for $249. I haven't been able to shoot it yet but its so Small I forgot I had it in my pocket. Ammo is near impossible to find. I got 20 gold dots and 50 fmj to practice with. I would have got more but that's all I could find.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
yea but nagant revolvers have retardedly expensive ammo.

33.59 for 50 rounds :barf:
You are looking in the wrong places then.
Brass cased, boxer primed, new manufacturer is 15/50
Surplus runs 120-130 per 1260 case. (.10 per round)

For a while the revolvers where floating around for 70$ ea. So you could almost get 3 revolvers and 1200rds of ammo for the 300$ limit

Looking on GunBroker, looks like someone bought up all the AIM and CFS revolvers and is turning around and selling them for 125. Hopefully more surplus come in and the price drops again

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
Bought a Sig P225 ex-police pistol with severely worn finish and sparkling bore for $300, albeit ~7 years ago. I'd personally prefer an uglied-up reliable pistol over a pretty piece of shit.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I'll throw a Ruger P89 into the mix. It's rather large, ugly, and built like a tank. You can find a good used specimen off of Gunbroker for $300 plus the ride.

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
when leaving a gun in a vehicle...you shouldnt just worry about the cost of the gun if stolen...but who just stole your gun...you wouldnt want some jackass criminal to get their grimy little hands on it and use it to shoot someone when they rob them would you?

i dont know what the crime rate in Iowa is...but down here i wont leave guns in my truck unattended...
:shaking:

Thanks Mom. She'll be sure to only date nice boys too.

A POS factory radio would be way more attractive than a pistol in the glovebox/center console locked or thrown under the seat. I doubt she leaves it in plain sight.

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
I just picked up a P3AT yesterday for $249. I haven't been able to shoot it yet but its so Small I forgot I had it in my pocket. Ammo is near impossible to find. I got 20 gold dots and 50 fmj to practice with. I would have got more but that's all I could find.
I carry one of these all the time. Great gun for the money.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:shaking:

Thanks Mom. She'll be sure to only date nice boys too.

A POS factory radio would be way more attractive than a pistol in the glovebox/center console locked or thrown under the seat. I doubt she leaves it in plain sight.
:laughing: Hahaha, thank you for that!

Obviously not leaving it in plain sight. Lots of options to check out... I still REALLY want my Coach model side by side... what gal DOESN'T NEED that?! :laughing:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
You are looking in the wrong places then.
Brass cased, boxer primed, new manufacturer is 15/50
Surplus runs 120-130 per 1260 case. (.10 per round)

For a while the revolvers where floating around for 70$ ea. So you could almost get 3 revolvers and 1200rds of ammo for the 300$ limit

Looking on GunBroker, looks like someone bought up all the AIM and CFS revolvers and is turning around and selling them for 125. Hopefully more surplus come in and the price drops again
Where have you seen .30 Nagant surplus? Are you thinking of .30 Tokarev (7.62x25)?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts