Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to re-drill my homemade front spring hanger to lower my rig a little. Do you guys with homemade spring hanger use an 18mm drill bit (where did you get it), would I notice the slop from a 3/4 with is 19mm? I found a local store with a 23/32nds bit that measures .710 and an 18 mm is .708. Should I make the 1/2 hr drive and spend $28 on the 23/32 bit. What say yee all?
Thanks
Jake

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
I am looking to re-drill my homemade front spring hanger to lower my rig a little. Do you guys with homemade spring hanger use an 18mm drill bit (where did you get it), would I notice the slop from a 3/4 with is 19mm? I found a local store with a 23/32nds bit that measures .710 and an 18 mm is .708. Should I make the 1/2 hr drive and spend $28 on the 23/32 bit. What say yee all?
Thanks
Jake
I use an 18 MM that I bought off a place on the web.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Jake, I used a 3/4" bit and then froze my bushings and drilled those to 3/4" too. Worked perfect.

If you decide to stay 18mm, Fastenal stocks metric bits.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Thanks
Jake
Have used both 23/32" and 18mm. The 18mm makes a tighter fit but both do the job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jake, I used a 3/4" bit and then froze my bushings and drilled those to 3/4" too. Worked perfect.

x2. this works pretty good. i used a step bit that went upto 3/4. bolts are cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I like this idea Guff. I'll have to see if I can find my 3/4 bit, it might have run away.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Damn, I've missed 3 years of Whitewater Festy! New boat? You scrap the exo?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah that was last year, big water fun. I am paddling a Prion release as a play boat, but still have the ole Fly for the slalom and a Salto for the creeks. I finally married Melanie this summer and we went wheelin' at Blacktail a few days before. I let Chris drive and he was kind enough to roll it hard in a nose to tail fashion. The pass a-pillar got a little pushed in and the cage was tweaked to the driver's side. Not too bad, but I have been wanting to re-do it with tube instead of pipe and change a few things so I hacked it off and am gonna try my hand at bending up a new one with an X behind the front seats, it really needed some triangulation.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
I also drill them to 3/4, hardware is cheaper and easier to find, and its a slight upgrade in strength. I used to drill the bushings warm, but now that ive been given the idea. im gonna try freezing them next time.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3/4 inch
used a 3/4 inch rebar heated up to push through the bushings.

how did you mount your snow plow?
The snow plow mount is a copy of how the big state plows do it. There is a sub frame that hangs off the front axle and then bolts to a plate that is bolted to the frame of the truck. The frame of the truck is sleeved and then the winch lifts it up and down. All the weight is therefore on the axle and not the frame and suspension. The truck also rolls on 42" Iroks, those 37" BFG's were just for a little daily driving duty the truck got this summer.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts