Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several sets of 30 spline drive flange sets and am looking into having them broached to 35 spline. Do any of you have specs on the splines like pitch, minor diameter and max diameter? Where could I buy this broach?

Or, if someone can point me towards some machine shop that would allow me to mail them several sets of drive flanges and spicer hubs, that could broach them and mail them back. Any help appreciated!

I sent Pig an email about purchasing the outer caps for his drive flanges - are there any other places other than Shakerbuilt that makes these caps - like the Warn drive flange set, that have an aluminum cap with countersunk holes and o-ring? I will just drill and tap the drive flange like Pig does his.

Am I crazy for doing all this work. or should I just buy Warns or Polyperformance drive flanges?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I can't say for sure what type broach companies use to do that, but if you were in production of drive flanges you would want one that does it in one pass. THAT would be a very expensive tool. If you had to do it in multiple passes, indexing it each tooth and pass, it would be too labor intensive to make it practical....from a manufacturers standpoint.
If I were an individual wanting several sets done, I believe I'd contact your local machine shops and find one that has a "wire EDM". That, I think, would be the most practical way of doing a short run production.
I used to work at a shop, in the EDM dept., and have missed that type work since leaving there. Luckily, the company I work at now is in the process of acquiring a wire. I do some 'gov't" work, and a wire will open the door on gov't work that I've been unable to do for years.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Originally posted by MudzerK5

Or, if someone can point me towards some machine shop that would allow me to mail them several sets of drive flanges and spicer hubs, that could broach them and mail them back. Any help appreciated!

• Mark Williams has done over 100 for me, the drive gear is no problem but the small gear for the locking hub will need to be anealed. steve differential eng. inc.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Do a search for knoll racing here in general tech. I have sent Karl numerous sets of slugs and spicer hub gears and his work is top notch and he doesn't anneal the gears.

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Just had Mad Mac do 2 sets for me. This was 6 months ago, haven't tried to get him in a while, but he is a busy busy guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts