Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what size is every one running? is the 10lb enough or should i get the 20lb.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Two 10 pounders...unless you're running 49" IROKS and you drive it to the trail. That way you can always have at least one full bottle, 10 plus pounds for any given trip.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
I've got two 15's and I wish I had gone with the 20's. Especially since it costs the same, generally, to get the 20 filled as it does the 10 pounder.
With a 20# tank you will not mind sharing some of the cold stuff with others on the trail.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Damn, I've got a 10, and am looking for a 5... 'course, I haven't aired up in over a year.

I guess if you've got to drive to and from the trails, sure..get the big one.

All my tank is for is to possibly re-seat an inner bead.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had a !0# tank for about 5-6 years. I am going to a 15# alum tank next time I trade in the empty. The AirGas place i get it charges about the same for 10#, 15#, or 20#'s. I strap the tank to the bulkhead between the seats and just behind on my CJ8. The 15# tank is the same diameter but taller. Assuming you are streetable, If you go to Moab for a week and must air up after every trail ride when you hit pavement, a 10# tank (i've found) is marginal. The bigger the tires the worse it is. Bias ply tires fill up faster, and look firmer in the sidewalls than the same size tire in radial. I used to go up to 25 lbs. in my 36-12.5 Swamper radials to hit the street. With the bias ply 37-13.5's IROC'S I find I only have to go up to about 18-20 lbs. to be streetable. A full charge of CO2 in my 10# tank weighs 28.5 lbs. An exhausted tank weighs 18.5 lbs. Hmmm.
Get the amount of tank you need. Form follows function. et al.
regards, as always, jefe

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am running 37x12.50 mtr's. i run right at 22 lb on the street.
I found a place out of grants pass OR that hase the 20lb tank reg hose handle for $250. i'm thinking that is a pretty good deal for a 20lb set up.

it's www.wheelersoffroad.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts