Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 17.6%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know which springs you like the most and why? Wagoneers (44044's, factory 7 leaf, etc), All Pro Springs, Rears Up front, or some other? Any reasons why? I have noticed alot of people arent doing the 44044 swap anymore. Any reasons?

thanks

Garrett

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hell yeah, got the first vote. The reason I chose 44044's is not only for their price, but for the lift and flex you get out of them. Granted you can get better flex out of other springs, these seem to deliver the most performance for the dollar.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I run the allpro leaves all around and am pretty happy with the flex. Today I am going to swap the stock rears to the front to try and get a better shackle angle though.

·
Registered
446 Posts
wheelerfreak said:
I run the allpro leaves all around and am pretty happy with the flex. Today I am going to swap the stock rears to the front to try and get a better shackle angle though.
I see your also a member of the "All-Pro shitty shackle angle" club. They need to make their damn springs longer(they would flex better too).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Yeah, count me in. I've posted on this before on a few other threads, they are a few of us. They do flex ok, it just rides rough on road. You're right though with a longer spring and a more angled shackle you will get better travel. I just measured the stock rears and they are about 2" longer than the AP springs so that should help some to lean back the shackle. Booger also said to use the three top stock springs and three bottom from AP to get a good flexing and riding spring. So when I finally pry my ass off the computer I'll head out to the garage and swap the damn things in.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
jrussell said:

I see your also a member of the "All-Pro shitty shackle angle" club. They need to make their damn springs longer(they would flex better too).:rolleyes:
:confused: I never seen another leaf spring that flexes better than my All-Pro fronts. I have seen too many junk yard springs fail too often to put them under my rig. I can easily top out 14" shocks. If you don't like your shackle angle, change it:rolleyes: . Factory spring hangers are way too weak for serious wheeling anyway.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I think the problem with the AP springs for several of us is that we bought the 3" lift springs. These were misrepresented as being longer than stock when in fact they weren't. I have the drop front hanger on mine and this combined with stocl length springs gave a near 90 degree shackle angle. The springs still flexed well, it just rode like shiat on the way to the trail. If you bought the 4" or 5" lift springs that were longer than stock then you didn't have this problem.
I just finished swapping the rears to the front and now the shackle angle is near 45 degrees. I have about the same lift as with the AP 3" springs, but now it droops even more! I now max out the shocks which are RS 9005's. I had it all set up with the AP springs to leave about 2.5" of travel left at full droop. Now I get about 3" more droop than the shocks allow for. So now it's time to redo the shock mounts and/or buy new shocks. The only problem I ran into when doing this swap was that the rears up front moved the axle too far foreward. I just redrilled the spring pads and the u-bolt plates 3/4" offset and everything lined up nicely. I did this rather then remount the IFS steering box because it was easier and with 35's and a 2" body lift I didn't run into probs with the tires hitting the back of the wheel well.
Now back to the original question in this thread---Now that I did it, I would highly recomend swapping the rears up front and running either the AP longer rear springs or a chevy spring in the rear.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
One correction I need to make to my last post was that I used a pair of Downey 3" lift rear springs with the military wrapped eyes. I picked these up for free and I liked that they had the military wrapped eyes. I had to add 2 thin leaves off a XJ rear pack that I had laying around. Ride is great and we'll see how it wheels as soon as I take it out.

·
Registered
985 Posts
overeasy said:
3 leaf toy pack with 3 bottom leafs off a yj pack. Good for 3.5-4" of lift. Flex is great.
do you have any flex pics?
how is it on the road, i have a set of rear yj 4" procraps in my shed and a set of toy rears:eek: and was thinkin what it would be like. top 3 rear, and bottom 3 yj.:confused: if not there is always waggies/all pros. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
zags said:

:confused: I never seen another leaf spring that flexes better than my All-Pro fronts. I have seen too many junk yard springs fail too often to put them under my rig. I can easily top out 14" shocks. If you don't like your shackle angle, change it:rolleyes: . Factory spring hangers are way too weak for serious wheeling anyway.

I guess you've never seen a pair of Alcans in action.;) It's kinda hard to change your shackle angle when you're working with a spring that's SHORTER than stock. Are you suggesting that I move the front hanger back???:rolleyes: I eventually plan on stretching the frame in front and running some 52"+ Alcans...that'll give some serious flex!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.