Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a 1985 Toyota. Ive read a lot on the 63" Chevy springs in the rear, But what springs are people using in the front?

Ive looked and just cant seem to find the info im looking for.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
cheveis in rear go hand to hand with rears up front.....or spend a little more money and get the 404404s.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Yota rear springs move the axle bout 2 inches forward. Trail-Gear will hook u up with some front springs too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Take your factory rear springs and put them in the front. Works best if you have a new front hanger thats about an inch forward. If not, you could use some bannana shackles. You'll probably need to add a couple of leafs from another pack to get the lift you'll want. I added a couple bottom leafs from an old rear XJ pack.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
JSGracey said:
Im looking at a 1985 Toyota. Ive read a lot on the 63" Chevy springs in the rear, But what springs are people using in the front?

Ive looked and just cant seem to find the info im looking for.

Thanks
Go read the faq again dumbshit.
Rears up front-
44044s (waggy)
Marlin
allpro

Fawk leaf springs and link it, but you probaly cant find anything on that either.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
mxmw54 said:
i have the allpro springs, but i have only heard good things bout the chevies up front...
dont put the chevies in the front....you probably mean, toy rears up front.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
eightyfive said:
dont put the chevies in the front....you probably mean, toy rears up front.
Chevys up front = The shittiest approach angle.

And also if you do end up doing the rears up front (because it works well and its cheap) Read the fawking faq on it and you shouldnt have any questions.

Edit: Alcan springs are great, but kinda pricey.

·
Registered
500 Posts
When you guys mix your front leaf packs with rears, alcans, marlins, etc. what leafs do you mix?

Which leafs of which packs?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nor Cal Jeep said:
mix the rears with the stock fronts then the only springs you need are the chebbies.
I dont think thats the best idea. Have you done it? Most stock fronts that are 20+ years old are negatively arched. They aren't going to provide enough support to get that extra inch or 2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fenderbmxer86 said:
Go read the faq again dumbshit.
Rears up front-
44044s (waggy)
Marlin
allpro

Fawk leaf springs and link it, but you probaly cant find anything on that either.

Thanks for the friendly Advise.

I read and reread the FAQ. I read on the front springs but it never says which are recomended for what application

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is where the search would be nice to have still.
Rears up front achieve great flex and are cheap = good way to go

·
Registered
725 Posts
FarRunner said:
When you guys mix your front leaf packs with rears, alcans, marlins, etc. what leafs do you mix?

Which leafs of which packs?
I wouldn't mix any company's springs (alcans, marlins, etc.)
but you mix junkyard springs
there are options for the front
waggy's
44044's
rears

and you keep the main leaf and add leafs into the pack to make it more of a lift

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks Dezrocks that link helped a lot!

and 93yota, what about Alcans? I've read about them and I've seen pic.s with insane amounts of flex.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
I have the top 3 from a rear pack up front, and then #'s 4 and 5 are from a front 6" lift pack. I like the height but I am thinking of cutting down another rear pack to replace the 2 6" leaves, so I will have a 7 leaf pack up front

Edit - here is a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
JSGracey said:
Thanks for the friendly Advise.

I read and reread the FAQ. I read on the front springs but it never says which are recomended for what application
Your welcome..

If somthing is in the faq that usally means its a good way to go, also when you read on the rears up front you notice everybody has a thing to say about them BECAUSE ALOT OF PEOPLE USE THEM!!!!!!

I hate when people just say rears up front. You have to mix packs together, if you throw in a stock rear back your truck will be a lowrider.

And also take into fact if you do the R-u-F you need to build a new hanger.

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Something else to think about is the fact that the 44044's, and some others as well, don' use a double military wrap. It doesn't affect the way they work, but if you break a main leaf you're fawked. Having to try and get a guy off of a 4+ trail with only bailing wire, and duct tape to hold the axle in position is no fun. As me how I know!:eek: Most of the big volume springs are this way, including Pro Comp and of course the Ranchos.

Marlin's springs are a double military wrap and will give you that extra margin of safety. This is what I'm going to run when I replace my 44044's.

Doc

1 - 20 of 32 Posts