Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i just installed a temp gauge on my 94 YJ 4 banger with a 30rh. I was curious what temp everyone was running, because the gauge has been acting wierd. I have been running around 150 -165, but the tranny was just rebuilt so could that have a factor on why it is running so cool? or is it normal? When i do run it for awhile it got up to about 180 today, but that was after a day of mudding and a trip home on the highway.

also, is there a cutoff temp at what you should let your tranny get to?

nick

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
My old antique TH400 runs right at 180°F under normal conditions. However, when crawling in low gear, low case the temp slowly creeps up and up and up . . . mainly because I'm running slightly below the converter stall speed.

If your radiator has a built-in transmission cooler, the transmission temp will eventually stabilize with the coolant temperature. If not you should add a cooler to keep the transmission temp below 200°F

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
That is a good temp. An auto at 250* wont last long so good thing you aren't near there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well my F-head in my early CJ runs around 210° F.........

I would like to get it to run around 185° F...........

I put in a Elect. fan and a temp sensor in the top of the block. The problem I have is that I can't find a 7/8 NPT thread plug temp sensor that will trip at any low temps then 200° F............Napa says......."No Have" :rolleyes:

So if anyone has an idea where I could buy one let me know.......:flipoff2:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rockcrusher said:

If your radiator has a built-in transmission cooler, the transmission temp will eventually stabilize with the coolant temperature. If not you should add a cooler to keep the transmission temp below 200°F
I dont use my rad cooler. So basically, by not using it, it will help lower the tranny temp?

Thanks everyone for the replies
nick

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btt..
is there a problem with your tranny running too cold? If yes, what would be considered too cold?
nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts