Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm staring at my jeep sitting on 38.5SX tires. Damn near brand new, I doubt there's even 20 miles of easy trail on them.

Due to gas prices, I'm looking at driving to the trail more often. (15-17mpg vs. 10mpg towing w/ 92 octane) To do that I have to get street legalish. Bumper height my worst enemy, I'm only allowed 22"/22" (front rear) and I'm 26"/29". The bumper has to go to the outside of each tire.

Pondered the bumper solution. Out back isn't so bad, the gas tank sits below my bumper 3-4", so building a bumper that sits that low is no real loss of anything. What more, I could tie a skid plate in to the bumper for the gas tank.

The front is a challenge. Dropping a bumper 7" to make myself legal and not look totally rediculous is nearly impossible. Never mind my loss of approach angle.

So here I am thinking, 38.5's, I could drop to 33's, now my front bumper is only 26" and I'm only making up 4" to get completely legal.

The rig would also end up more road friendly in the process.

Has gas prices sent anyone else down this road yet? (or even selling a more capable rig for less so you can drive to/from?)

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just sprung over.

For the front, I can easily do the removable option, but then, where do I hide it or mount it while offroading. It rains out here so the top sometimes stays on and I need to have room in the back for the carseats.

Then I have to consider, where will I get to do most of my off-roading. Sadie Creek and Tahuya. Plus the fact that 90% of what is out there in my area can easily be run on 33-35's especially if you know how to drive.

It's like I know the rational answer but I can't emotionally grasp it. :laughing: :shaking:

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another thing, if I want some belly pan clearance back, I could leave the 2" body lift on, that originally went on to clear the atlas that was *just* touching the body and rattling. Then flat skid it and pick up nearly everything I lost from going down in tire size.

·
Registered
911 Posts
One note about bumper laws. In MO the bumper can only hang down a certain distance from the frame rails, and only be so tall (from bottom to top). I don't know if WA has the same issues, but MO figured it out in the 80s when the sky-high trucks on 44s were running around with little drop down bumpers to meet the laws.

Might be something to check before you get too far into the project.

·
Registered
18,302 Posts
Make it out of wood (a log with bark still on it). Then you can throw it in the woods and noone will mess with it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
:evil:From your avatar, I'm going to assume you have two small boys. Now what are they going to think when they get old enough to realize that their father went from 38.5 SX's to 33's? You do want them to be proud, don't you?:evil:

Chain the bumpers to a tree when you get there... You don't want your boys asking for a civic for their first car do you?

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One note about bumper laws. In MO the bumper can only hang down a certain distance from the frame rails, and only be so tall (from bottom to top). I don't know if WA has the same issues, but MO figured it out in the 80s when the sky-high trucks on 44s were running around with little drop down bumpers to meet the laws.

WA only says something about "bumper extensions" not counting. Nothing about if it's the bumper itself. Just that it has to mount similar to factory.

On a wrangler that's pretty easy considering Jeep never came with a rear bumper (yet I need one to avoid hassles) and the front, any bumper similar to a warn or trail ready would do the job.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Has gas prices sent anyone else down this road yet? (or even selling a more capable rig for less so you can drive to/from?)
I have thought about it. I already have a streetable wheeler. Luckly I have 2 sets of tires so I drive on 37s now and wheel on 39.5 iroks. Im am goin to step down to 35s and tossed around the idea of sellin the 39.5 iroks for a set of 36s.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
build a trailer to haul your 38's

swap some 29's on to drive to the trailhead. put on trail tires, chain trailer and 29's to tree.. go wheel.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
build a trailer to haul your 38's

swap some 29's on to drive to the trailhead. put on trail tires, chain trailer and 29's to tree.. go wheel.
Too much of a pain in the ass even with an impact gun. That's one road I just refuse to go down.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts

The term BUMPER HIEGHT is really a dumb one---they need to toss that out and call it what it really is---frame height. Since every cop I have talked to the bumper has to be inline with the frame hench--its really your frame height not your bumper..

Sell the pos and by a pedal bike :D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I was having to put "trailer tires" on my rig to get it on the trailer. SUX! I agree don't deal with that.

I would say you should maybe make something removable, and make it so it can bolt to your rollcage...? That way you can take it off when you get to the trail.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Attach two pcs of rec. tube to the outside of the framerails.Make your drop bumper fit these and when you get to the trail unpin it and flip it over so it's then a brush guard,kinda getto, but an idea.

You'd be fawked if you bent it and couldn't remove it to swap positions tho'

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The term BUMPER HIEGHT is really a dumb one---they need to toss that out and call it what it really is---frame height. Since every cop I have talked to the bumper has to be inline with the frame hench--its really your frame height not your bumper..

Sell the pos and by a pedal bike :D
Hey now, I prefer bumper height to frame height. It gives you a little wiggle room, even if it is just a couple inches.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get a diesel tow rig that will get 15mpg pulling your Jeep.
economically speaking that makes absolutely no sense. Overall, diesels cost more to operate than gas engines. Now, if I was just looking at fuel economy I would agree, but I need to look at the entire picture when looking to save money and be able to continue off-roading.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In my opinion I'd just continue to haul it to the trail. By the time you deside what bumpers you want to make, get the material, and make them; you'd be better off hauling.
Making bumpers that could be removed and then tied to a tree as some have suggested would get old in my mind. Ones that could be fliped out of the way may also get damaged and wouldn't be able to get used.

Thats just me 2 cents

1 - 20 of 25 Posts