Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i've been fighting with getting my 82' smogged because it just wont pass (its boarderline NOT passing) within something like .5% to .2% on the CO% well i find out the other day that i need a new carb so i go get one from a local autoparts store. Get it on and its idleing really rough. I spray carb cleaner down near the intake manifold where it seats to the block and it rev's up, i think to myself (hmm thats odd) so i take a closer look to see that in a certain spot twords the back there looks to be piece of the gasket sticking out like its blown the gasket out or just got old. No biggie.. i go and replace the intake manifold gasket thinking this will cure my problem... NOPE still doing the same thing, i call a local mechanic shop (the shop that did my head when it has a blown head gasket) and then take a look, tell me the carb is defective. Something along the lines of it has a bad throttle shaft leak, they had also told me that this company is nutorious for bad carb's so they advised that i go get another. Easier said then done, i had to call the company, be put on hold for 8 hrs (not literally), pleade my case, have them give me ignorant advice as to what "could" be the problem and ultimatly give me a verification code so i can take it BACK to the local auto store where i got it from to get another one. So i do all that and get the new one, put it on.. doesnt have the throttle shaft leak like the other one did but is still idleing rough etc. So now im sorta stuck because im rushing like a mad man trying to get it ready for the Con this weekend (which is looking grimmer and grimmer as i glance at the clock) and am clueless as what to do. I've heard from others on the board that the AAP diaphram likes to cause trouble, could this be my problem or would it be something else? Im going to check the timing cover here in a minute, the external timing is dead on, all plugs and wires are fine, distributor is fine.. blah blah... all the usual stuff is in good condition. Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

Update compression tested all the cylinders

1 - 175
2 - 175
3 - 175
4 - 125 (low but not low enough to make it act like its acting right now)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
if you spray carb clean and the idle comes up,your running lean and probably have a vacuum leak.you can spray around the motor with the carb clean to find it,but dont spray the exhaust or around the dist,wires,plugs,or you might catch it on fire.learned that one the hard way.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i sprayed around the engine.. thats where i found the intake manifold leak but there's no more leaks that i know of... there couldnt be.. hmmmm...

i'll go take a look right now.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea someone told me the exact same thing on 4x4wire.

The REED valve on the EGR could be wide open thus causing problems.. i'm going to check that tomorrow. I'll post up any new information

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A nicer way to look for leaks is to use a small bottle torch (unlit of course). Shouldn't catch fire or anything like that, but you motor will rev up a bit when you pass the torch over a leak.

·
Registered
585 Posts
shamb said:
Yea someone told me the exact same thing on 4x4wire.

The REED valve on the EGR could be wide open thus causing problems.. i'm going to check that tomorrow. I'll post up any new information

Thanks for the reply.

If it is your EGR just block it off. Pop can shim between the egr and the head (put sealant on both sides) is invisible to inspectors if you do it right and you can seal the vac. lines by stuffing something in them and hooking them back up to fool the emmission nazis. I've had my EGR blocked with the side of a pop can for years in my truck. Fixed a bad idle prob.

·
Premium Member
25,817 Posts
Did you replace the gasket on both sides of the carb spacer? Maybe the bottom one is blown out also.

Yes the AAP Diaphragm causes idle issues when it's bad. You can just pull the vacuum line and see if it's leaking gas.

Have you checked the idle mixture screw? It's suppose to be turned in to tight and then out 4 turns. Adjust from there.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
shamb said:
Update compression tested all the cylinders

1 - 175
2 - 175
3 - 175
4 - 125 (low but not low enough to make it act like its acting right now)
If thats an intake valve leaking it sure as hell can make it idle bad. It's making a drop in vacuum and that will play hell with it.
Put a Vacuum gage on it and if it's jumping then you have a intake valve leaking for sure. Might be as simple to fix as adjusting the valve lash.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed it today, thanks for the replys.

Intake Manifold was still leaking. Got it all squared away and NOW im having problems with the throttle wanting to stick.. :laughing:

I CANT win i swear, i was planning on running the Con this weekend but its just not going to happen.

anyone know where i can get that piece of the throttle linkage that the throttle cable wrap's around and hooks to, with a return spring??

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts