Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I got a 76' CJ7 and I have had Shannon Cambpell do spring over, shackle reversal, and set up my engine.

Now I am planning on running 35" tires but do not know witch ones I should by.

I got a D30 front and amc20 rear. Both locked with detroits and geared to 4:56, one piece chrome-oly and everthing you can do to it.

either,
35x12.50xR15 Good year MTR's
or
35x14.00xR15 Interco Super Swamper Bogggers.

I am not sure if boggers are to wide. Would like to use them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It depends on what you're using it for if its for offroad only the boggers are sweet, but if you will drive it on road the MTR's are probably the way you wanna go. just a thought

·
Registered
107 Posts
one more thing to think about is depending on your driving style boggers are a very unforgiving tire and will tell you exactly where any weak point you have is at but they do hook up really good i run 38.5" boggers on mine

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Boggers are great but lack when side hilling. Do a search (if it's working) in the hard core section to see how people cut and carve their boggers to get better performance from them.

BFG MTRs are a good 'all around' tire much closer to an all terrain tire than the bogger is...

As mentioned above, it all depends on what you will be wheeling on.

·
Registered
359 Posts
MTR's all the way. Just make sure you get 5 of them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
jeep_crazy said:
Now I am planning on running 35" tires but do not know witch ones I should by.

I got a D35 front and amc20 rear. Both locked with detroits and geared to 4:56, one piece chrome-oly and everthing you can do to it.
I think you mean D30 front right? I'd go with the lightest of those 2, the MTR. D30 and AMC20 are not robust axles and the less rotational weight you have stressing on them, the better.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you run a lot of mud, avoid the MT/R's. They have a terrible reputation for mud. Obviously, if you run a lot of mud, boggers would be the way to go.

I'm assuming that since you're from AZ, you'll see more time on rocks, in that case, the MT/R's have been really popular in the SW. Good tire for rocks and still very streetable.

One point that's been brought up was the weight of the Boggers, if you really like them, consider 35x10.50x15's. Should be a lot more forgiving on your drive train and will probably be a bit more streetable. I don't know if you've ever seen those 35x14x15's on a Jeep before, but, they kind of make it look like a roller skate IMO.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i got a pair of 35x12.5x15 superswamper ssr's i am selling with 90% tread left. Over $900 brand new, i am selling them for $550, like new, never offroad.
[email protected]

·
Registered
611 Posts
jackal411 said:
Dana 35 with locker on 35's WOW
boom baby :nuke: :nuke:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your guys help. From what I'm under standing it looks like MTR's are probly less stress on my axles.

So I will most likely go with MTR's.

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot But I had shannon Cambpell do spring over for me and would that weaken the axles at all? One dude said that it could weaken your axle by 50%?

·
Registered
876 Posts
SOA won't weaken the axles. SOA will put more stress on the springs, but done right (and I'm sure yours is) it's not an issue. Also - disregard the BS about a D35 1) you don't have a 35 up front and 2) the 35 has a bad rep in YJ/XY/TJ rear applications.

Throw a set of MT/R's on the Jeep and go wheel it.

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
jackal411 said:
Dana 35 with locker on 35's WOW
Are you even paying attention you incompetant boob. this is a '76 CJ

That means no D35 retard.

It's a typo, it's a D30 front and an AMC 20 rear:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Defenitely the MTRs. I'd say those Boggers might be a bit much for the D30 gear set. As long as you have them chromo'd it'll probably be your weak link.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya I got my front axle chrome-oly along with the rear.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts