Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys and gals carry to go mountain biking for the day and how do you carry it? What tools for instance, nutrition and hydration.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
depends, if i plan on riding something technical or hard ill pack some shit in my kelty backpack. it holds a camelback liner, spare tube, small bottle of slime, i carry a CO2 pump and a few extra tanks, lights so if i get caught in the dark, leatherman, everything on my bike is quick release so no real tools are needed. camera, a few food bars of choice.

i also mounted my old magellan gps on the bars so i know distance, speed, where i am, crap like that.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Somehow I end up carrying all the tools for the group I ride with, guess I have the most knowlege with em so its by default.

My Camelback contains the following:

2 tubes
Leatherman Wave
Topeak Alien II multi tool
CO2 inflator with 4 cartridges
tire levers
Assorted tire patches
Powerlink and about 15 spare chain links
assorted allen wrenches
crank puller
bottom bracket wrench
pedal wrench
small first aid kit
pack of smokes and lighter
mini mag light

Damn, didn't know I was carrying so much crap. Most of its come in handy at least once over the last couple years. Since I work on a river boat, our riding is from wherever we stop on the river bank to the nearest town (1-15 miles) so we can get some beer to take back to the river bank at the end of the day, so at least half my milage is also carrying a 6 or 12 pack.:D

Now that is practical exercise.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
All packed in a Dakine Nomad:

1L of water
1-2 tubes depending on where I'm riding
Leatherman
Crank Brothers multi tool
Crank Brothers pro pump
2 spare power links
Tire levers (if I've got DH tires on)
Bit of Para cord
Bit of duct tape
Bit of Gauze (incase I really F myself up)
Map or GPS (depending on where I'm riding)
Headlamp (if I'm out riding late)
Cliff bars

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
in the seat pack:

tire levers, tube, patch kit, Presta/Schraeder adapter

in the "hydration pack"-- Mountainsmith World Cup, if you remember those

overlayer for the mountains, emergency blanket, mirror, rudimentary first aid kit (depends on usage as to how stocked it is-- Neosporin, bandages, bandaids at all times), cell phone, camera, 100oz water, 4 Clif bars, sketchbook, pens/pencils

·
Registered
127 Posts
my riding is pretty local and only a few hours so my list is not near extreme.

In the bag under the seat:
-Cell phone
-ID w/cash
-small first aid kit
-some power bars or other snack to eat
-keys for the jeep

In the Camelbak:
-50 oz. of water
-1 tube
-1 patch kit
-tire levers
-multi tool, Crank Brothers M-17 so it has the spoke wrench, chain tool, Allen wrenches, ect all in one
-extra mini CO2 cartridge

And On the bike:
-24 oz water bottle
-Mini CO2 pump with canister big enough for 2 MTB tires on strapped on the frame

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've found that throwing in some misc zip ties into the camelbak have really helped in several situations...

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
I also carry some electrical or Duct tape. Comes in handy...

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
I also carry a lighter. Because pot won't light itself...

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I carry a ton of stuff when I ride just cuz I hate having to look to someone else for help when I should have had the tools. I use a Camelbak Mule with the 100 oz bladder:
Spare tube
patch kit
bike multi tool
pocket knife
tire levers
allen wrench set x2
spare derailleur hanger and bolts
spoke wrench x2
small flat head and phillips screw driver
first aid kit
pump wrapped with duct tape
Chain tool
spare chain links
Gerber multi tool
Spare bolts for my cleats
2 cliff bars
camera
lighter
and depending on the weather a jacket/rain shell

I've used everything at one point or another, so I still carry it all.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
after my last ride and an encounter with a rattler, it almost makes me want to throw in a snake bite kit, if those even work. I need to at least carry a first aid kit though

·
1,876 Posts
wow...as a boy scout i should "be prepared" but most rides i just take a water bottle on my bike. Sometimes ill take a camelback with more water, an energy bar, pump and tube, as well as my multi tool. Oddly enough, the coolest multi tool ive seen i got for free from the Toyota FJ "Trail Teams" haha

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, after reading what some of you carry I feel Just a little over prepared. For mountain biking on a long offroad ride I carry my Camelbak Narrow Gauge pack with a 100 oz. bladder filled with Cytomax, my phone, some money, a dollar bill can patch a torn tire. Don't laugh, I did this on my road bike and it got me home. An Alien II multi tool, some chain pins, a tiny pair of vice grips to break off the chain pin after you install it. I like those Shimano pins, very easy to put in. But that little extra piece is a bear to break off. I carry a couple of power bars, a kevlar spoke repair kit, I have also used this and it got me home. Condoms, they also have other purposes than a watertight cell phone bag. A lighter, like said earlier, it ain't gonna light itself. A small flashlight, insect repellent, sun screen, Smith and Wesson 340PD .357 Mag., a few extra rounds of ammo, and ear plugs.
In my small bag under the saddle I carry a spare tube and tire levers. I also keep my chain pins ans small vice grips in there and a one dollar bill, with my patch kit and the Allen wrench that fits my seat post. I also have a frame mounted air pump.
It sure sounds like a lot of crap for a bike ride, but I am prepared for almost anything.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's usually better to be over prepared than under prepared. I typically ride in remote areas so I bring a multi-tool, tires spoons, a tube, co2 and water. In cooler weather a something warm in case the weather changes or in end up overnite in the wilderness. Plenty of water, more food than I'm going to eat, a knife, a light gun, bear mace a bug net to go over the head & helmut in the summer, bug replelant, sun block, asprin, a lighter and a cell phone. Notice that cell phone is last on the list. Help usually isn't just a call away even when the thing has a signal.

Sounds like a lot of stuff but when you've seen someone die on the trail and had a few mtn lion face offs you learn to prepare. It probably adds about 5 to 8 lbs to my riding weight depending on how much water i bring. Don't try to carry too much on your back since it's uncomforable and raises your center of gravity.

So that's the scoop on wilderness biking. If your semi-urban you could loose a couple items.

At the end of today's ride (semi-urban) I met a young lady that had a bit of a crash. See had a chunck of her arm missing down to the bone and about three inches wide. Her car was several miles away. Fortunately a buddy got her to some help. Maybe some armor a basic first aide stuff isn't a bad idea. It sounds extreme but things do happen on the trial and you can be ready or unprepared, your call.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Oh yeah forgot a map if your not familar with the trail. GPSs are great for recording rides and they are useful when your disoriented. Unlike maps they tend to have problems like no signal or battery issues when you need them the most. If I'm in an unfamilar area I'll carry a map or both a map and gps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
this is usually what is in 2 or 3 of our bags. some people cary more and some less. a really good bike multi tool will do almost anything you need it to. I do sometimes cary a pedal wrench and my pair of flats just in case we find a good spot to session for a bit. my pack also holds my shin/knee pads. my camel back and 3 or 4 packs of shot blocks. thats about it. sometimes more if we have a newb rider with us.

patch kit
bike multi tool
pocket knife
first aid kit
pump
camera
lighter

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
snake bite kits arent worth a damn. if you are worried about something like that, go to an herb or health food store and get a good quality activated charcoal. They come in pills and you just take a couple for any kind of bite or sting and it soaks up the poison.

The cut an X and suck the venon out thing doesnt work. when you get bit, the venon is in your blood stream within just a few seconds, you arent going to suck it back out...

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I also carry a lighter. Because pot won't light itself...
lol

My ride to work gets a spare tire and my multi tool under the seat - that is about it other than my phone. On the trail I use my camelback with water, shock pump, fuel (bloks, bars, gu, whatever), patch kit, tunes, not much else really.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Jesus, are you guys going on a freaking ride a weeklong expedition.All you need is 2 spare innertubes,2 CO2 cartriges,1 tire lever, KY lube :p, and a bag of weed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts