Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright after seeing the chevies on a 2nd generation thread. I want to see what my options are with my chevies. This is the shot before I evened the sides out. On the left is my current 11 inch shackle. On the right is the first one I did at like 8.

I could live with it if I can get it down under 8".
I have a 1" block in there to which I am not fond of.
What do you think I should do? Rearch the springs is the only correct thing I can think of.
Dual shackle dosent help because the spring still has to sit where it is.
More block I dont want to do. I need about 6" total out of the setup.
Angle is good just too damned long. ?????

·
Registered
801 Posts
Add more leaves. It looks like you only have like 3 leafs in those packs. Did you add any leafs to the chevys or did you just plunk them right on in? Build them up to gain more lift, but with thin leaves.

Ditch those 11" shackles, that can't be safe!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were originally a 4 leaf pack. I took one out. So it is identical to the 3 leaf packs.

What do you think.

Add in the stock chevy one I had.
Add like 2 toy leafs. I have my original rear pack still.
Take another leaf out and use more toy leafs. for thinner leafs overall.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
said in a previous post to you that i moved 4" back and 2" down on the rear mount. front mount is at common 11" forward. this allows the chevys to work fine with no blocks/double shackle/long single shackle. i can't remember where your front mount was located, so you would have to adjust if the front not at 11". still like your buildup-especially rounding up all the parts first. my 02.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Since you have a decent # of leafs to play with I'd start by building a 7-leaf pack, my be too much or not enough.... in my book it's easier/less stress to remove leafs than have to guess and add leafs to gain height.

I don't have chevys so I can't be too much help, I only have a hybred Toy pack, kinda similar to a mazda/toy combo setup, similar spring lengths. My setup is a 5 leaf pack and sits about flat with the shackle nearing a 45* angle w/1.5" block and extended shackles. I have about 3.5-4" of lift total.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jdrocks. Ya mine is at 9.5" on the front because of the different years I believe. Dropping my rear mount would be an option but the way I see it the shackle is shorter but the eye of the spring would still be in the same spot. I guess I will start on building the pack up. See what I can come up with.

Last ? ditch the overload leaf or leave it with a hybrid pack with a good bit of leaves. I would think I could take it out now since I will be upping the rate a bit.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
JW,

I posted this stuff a while back on a couple threads. I'm using Toy/Chevy/AAL rear leaf packs.

"When I did my chevys, I wanted to stay single shakcle too. I only moved my front hangers fwd 9.5". I should have gone 10.5. Oh well. I'll fix it when the bed finally goes. Anyway 9.5" forward is NOT enough if you want to retain your original shackle mount location with a reasonably short shackle. I intended to do just that thinking my 7.5" eye-eye daystar lift shackles would be fine. Doh! when I was done, they sat at about 25-30 degrees from flat. The ride was SQUISHY! Since, I modified the leaf pack for a bit more arch (it's a jcwhitney stock chevy replacement, addaleaf, toyota hybrid pack now) and I made some new 8.5" eye-eye shackles. They are a tad long, and still need a center brace, but they seem to work and ride well with my goofy spring pack. HTH"

"I went with a single 8.5" shackle, a rough country full length AAL (I used the AAL as a replacment leaf rather than adding it), two toy leafs on the bottom, and a toy overload backwards. No wrap and pretty flexy. Yields approx 5"."

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
When I mounted my chevies, I placed the spring hangers 16" foward of stock and it's sits well using a 7" shackle. I'm also gonna have to cut down my rear drive shaft because the axle went foward about 5"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts